1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back To Life Ms 1000 Ds

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Kraken SVQ, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Hi guys,

I have a 2004 Ducati Multistrada 1000 DS that I bought a couple of years ago. I knew it was not working and after a while parked I started to make it work.
    The first thing I checked was the fuel tank, because the fuel pump was not working. This is what I found when I opened it ...

20210223_102549.jpg

20210223_102629.jpg

20210223_102504.jpg

I have been looking in pages of all kinds and I have found many, from spare parts pages to Chinese pages, finding prices from 15 Euros from Chinese pages to 160 Euros from physical stores. In most stores they do not give any type of data on the flow of the pumps, with some that promise up to 255 liters / hour. After much research, I decided on a Bosch part, which gives me enough confidence without the price being exorbitant. Bosch has several references with different sizes and powers, of which they have the right size, I chose 0580453443, because meeting the requirements. Although the total length was the same as the original pump, when it arrived, I found that it was not exactly the same, because the body of the original pump was larger, which made the anchor stops long, which I solved with a clamp .

Bomba Bosch.jpg
    Bomba.jpg
    Bombas.jpg

Regarding the pre-filter that goes before the pump, I mounted the same one that I had, my friend told me that it came out with gasoline and after several washes with gasoline and solvent it came out practically white, I forgot to take a picture.

#1 Kraken SVQ, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  2. Looks like its been running on fry crisp n dry...

3. Bosch probably make it anyway...

4. The next component I needed was the pressure regulator, here more of the same, although there is not much to choose from, the prices varied a lot from one place to another. The regulator that I finally bought is for a Toyota Celica Coupe, it opens at 3.5 bars. The regulator that I had mounted had the outlet hole on the side of the regulator body and this has it on the top, after much reading I have come to the conclusion that it is not very important, because in the end the amount of gasoline that coming out of the regulator is very small and does not affect at all (taking into account that it is submerged in the gasoline in the tank). In the next photo (bottom part) you can see a small hole in the white plastic part of the regulator support, that was where the excess pressure gasoline came out of the regulator before and now it will come out from the top of the regulator. I found a Bosch reference, but couldn't find it in store, sold out everywhere. I leave you the reference in case it works for you BOSCH - F 000 DR9 002.

Regulador.jpg

The gasoline filter also had to be changed, there were two possibilities, a metallic one (the one I chose) and repeat with one like the original plastic one, I thought the metallic one was better, but when it came to mounting it I realized that the plastic had an anchor to screw it into its support. I solved it by cutting the plastic filter (which by the way was quite clean inside) and using the half that had the anchor. Yes, I know, it is a bit sloppy, but the result works and has even its grounding.

Filtro.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. And this is the final result

Completa 1.jpg

Completa 2.jpg

Completa 3.jpg

I mounted it in the tank, I added gasoline and the pump works perfectly, but the motorcycle still does not start, I checked the spark plugs and they do not have a spark and after trying to start several times the spark plugs were dry, so I guess it does not inject gasoline either on the cylinders.
    We will have to look for the fault in the electrical system

• Like Like x 1
  6. Good luck - any fault codes displayed? - from memory, I think you keep button "A" depressed on dash/instrument panel while turning ignition on.

7. No fault,
    I have connected JpDiag and it does not give any fault
    I've done the coil test, and they work perfectly, I've done the pump test and it works, I've done the injectors test and I don't know if they work, the pump starts, but I don't know if the injectors open. I don't know how to check it with the fuel tank on the motorcycle

#7 Kraken SVQ, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  8. The starter motor turns, but does not start
    I have noticed that in the main screen of the program, the status of the engine, the clutch, the neutral and the side stand, change their state when I act on them, but the circuit breaker is always off, if I turn it off it does not rotate the starter motor, if I turn it on it tries to start, but it keeps showing OFF on the display.

Pantallazo JpDiag.jpg

9. The ECU will switch the fuel pump relay on for a few seconds at ignition on then turn it off again. This pressurises the fuel lines. The relay also provides power to coils and injectors. When the starter operates and the engine turns the crank sensor sends signal to the ECU that tells it to switch the relay back on. The same signal is used to time the sparks and injectors. No crank sensor signal, no sparks nor injection. Check that the pump runs when the engine is cranking. If not suspect the crank position sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The pump runs when the engine is cranking
    I have bought a pick-up, which is on the way, because I thought it could be the cause.

11. Could it be that a faulty pick-up sends signal for the pump, but not for coils and injectors?

12. Judging by the state of the original fuel pump & gauze filter it looks like the bike has been standing unused for a long time, the fuel has evaporated and left a gummy residue. You may find the same has happened within the injectors i.e. they are gummed up and blocked. Thus the electric pulse may be opening them but no fuel can spray out, or at least not enough. I would remove the injectors, clean them, and make sure they open when an electric pulse is applied.

Edit : thinking about it some more, looking at what was encrusting the fuel pump, perhaps the fuel pipes themselves to the injectors are blocked with the same gummy residue ?

#12 West Cork Paul, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. How about Paul

I thought that, but I broke the fuel lines and the fuel filter and they were surprisingly clean, with no trace of dirt on them.
    So I think there should be no dirt in the injectors.
    In fact, there was only dirt inside the plastic piece that supports the pump assembly, the fuel tank was totally clean.

Still, I'll have to test them because I can't be 100% sure.

#13 Kraken SVQ, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Well, the new pick-up arrived yesterday, I put it in, I checked the setting to 0.7 and nothing at all, it still won't start.
    I got an error with the JpDiag, 0460 fuel tank level sensor - defective circuit. I touched the connector a bit and it was removed.
    Nothing is wrong, I have the feeling that I am very close, but I have run out of ideas and I can not find the problem.
    It continues to appear in the JpDiag, the kill swicht is OFF, I don't know if that is it, but the fact is that the starter motor turns, but it doesn't start, it doesn't even try.

Anyone have an idea, please?

15. It is possible that if the new pump is wired differently to the original, it is running backwards. I can see you have a block connector that should prevent this, but if the pump terminals are the other way round, you will hear the pump prime and do everything its supposed to do when it is supposed to do it, except backwards.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. That's not Borgo Panigale, because I tested it before mounting it and it was working properly.

Any other idea? I'm starting to get desperate.

17. Does the tank have a tap on the underside, like the 900ss?

18. Have you tried disconnecting the fuel pipe from the throttle bodies and checking fuel is at least getting that far?

19. No, it does not have it

I have assumed that if the pump worked, fuel would arrive, but I will test it
    Thanks

20. I have read in a post that a problem with the Multistrada was the lack of ground and that it was solved with a new ground cable
    Does anyone know from where to where it should be put?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information