1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Bad Idea Oxford Tail Pack ?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Pras, Jul 7, 2017.

?
  1. Hell yes

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No just get a Kriega tail bag you tight arse

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. you and everyone else around you will go up in flames

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. See pic below.
    Do you guys think it will be alright or get too hot and melt the bungees? I did a dry run and let the engine go hot until the fan kicked in and so far so good.

Going for a 30mile trip tomorrow and see how it goes.
    I'm off to Europe Monday so need to make sure it's alright.
    [​IMG]

2. Off to the Ring in a few weeks it'll be the first time taking the Duc, couldnt bring myself to put the oxford bag on the back, never bothered about chucking it on the gixxer :joy:, bought a kreiger r35

3. Keisha tank adaptor and a US20 is all you need.
    Makes a nice place to rest on as well.

4. I've got a Ventura rack you can borrow Pras. Are you North London, I seem to remember?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. That is very kind of you Pavey. I will see how it goes tomorrow morning how it holds up.
    I'm in Chelmsford. Not too far from you.

6. I ran kriega's round Italy on a ZX6R (underseat model). On about day 8, I got overtaken by a mate waving frantically. My kriega straps had melted and it was only the buckle I'd threaded through the passenger handle, holding it all on.

New kriega straps are much improved, so if trust the new straps but not the ancient design of the oxfords. Not without tin foiling the straps for peace of mind.

7. For the 30 mile trip a kriega and for the europe trip, take up the offer of the ventura system

8. I wouldn't trust that.
    Apart from the very real likelihood of melting the straps, the anchor point of the rear bungee is not good.
    It should stretch rearwards from the tailpack, not forwards.

A long European trip gives plenty of time for straps to loosen and things to get too hot.
    A tailpack is out of sight and therefore more vulnerable.
    I'd use a tankbag myself.

9. Take a US20 Kriega and scum it. You're gonna smell as it is anyways. Theres sinks and stuff you know. Thats all I take and 30% is taken by my waterproofs. I also take an R3. Screw clear visors too. Travel light.

10. Did 2 weeks of Europe with just a US20 and a R15 rucksack. Stank. Same t-shirt under my leathers every day. Washed it in the hotel sink with shower gel or shampoo every night.

In the evenings, it was flip-flops, shorts and t-shirts as they pack very small.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Me too JHL. I use those summer wicking tops. Very light n they dry v quickly. Same wiv kecks. I use cycling hi wick things. dry in 5 mins, or i just put em on wet, whatever. Soon dried on fecking 1299 anyways

12. If your doing long trips, don't under estimate how effective gel cycling shorts can be

#13 noobie, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. We just fitted the Ventura system to Pras' 1098, he is all set to go. Took about an hour with a little bit of one step forward two steps back getting the width right of the outside bars. I actually only unwrapped it last night from the bubble wrap as i bought it from someone on here but have never used it. Spent last night cleaning all the parcel tape residue from it with baby wipes.
    Is a great system actually as you can place a bag on the ledge or have on the other side over the pillion seat/cover. No real need to take a rucksack to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  14. That does sound good. Any pictures?

I'm off to France near the end of the month. I'd planned to setup the kriega straps under the rear seat and pillion seat. Then attach a US20 bag i have. You can see the setup in the pictures attached. Would the Ventura system be a better option? I'll need to do some google and see how much it is. I assume it is not cheap.

20170701_210635.jpg

20170701_210641.jpg

20170701_210648.jpg

15. I used to do that on my Streetfighter, you can see on yours (which happened to mine) that the bag over time takes the shine off of the cowl down the middle where it rubs.

I think the Ventura is the better option to be honest.

16. @jdearauj You are welcome to borrow it if Pras is back in time. We could sort out the Abba stand purchase at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Ha ha, brilliant. Like your own version of R2D2!

18. If you do not have a pillion, spin the rack round so your bag is over the seat.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information