1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Running Rich

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by slumdog, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Thanks for all the help in the past and here is a new one.. Just had the 999 back on the road after an electrical problem, pulled into the garage after a long ride - next day in leathers etc, started her up and running badly, won't tick over, lots of rich mixtures from the rear pipes - have taken the air filters out and run it without - no change.
    Any ideas ?

2. Injector not sealing properly allowing excess fuel to drip through into the inlets? Or TPS problem, need to adjust or replace TPS. Not unknown on T999.

3. Or coolant temperature sensor failed? Or maybe just bad connection to it?

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Ambient temp sensor fault?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Is it running on both cylinders? Test temp out of each outlet on exhaust.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Yes running on both but no tick over ..

7. I would start with basics filter etc. Then check tps and work from there. Hope you fix it

8. Can see both injectors active when running - not sure how to check the tps ?

9. You should check the earth connection to the ECU. If this is poor it will affect the voltages the ECU is seeing and can cause all sorts of errors.

If it is running rich it either has too much fuel or not enough air. The air filters wouldn't suddenly get clogged overnight so is anything obstructing the air inlet? Probably not so either the fuel pressure regulator is either faulty with excess pressure or the ECU is enriching the mixture due to an incorrect signal from a sensor. his can be the ambient air temperature sensor or the coolant (engine) temperature sensor. The coolant sensor has a far greater effect and is the most likely in my opinion. You can check either of them by disconnecting, one at a time. The ECU will substitute a default value and the engine will change in how it runs, probably better but the check engine light will be on.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Just ran the bike without the TSP and normal except at higher revs , When reconnecting the tsp while running can visibly see more juice squirting and bad running . is it the TSp ? Have vid of it... Ahh can't attach !

11. You could use JPdiag to do a TPS reset.

12. Forgive me but what is JPdiag ?

13. Ok its the software plus cables .. :)

14. It's a diagnostic software that will enable you to read and clear error codes, reset the TPs and reset service lights as well as carry out a few tests. Available here. You will need a laptop to run it on and a few cables to connect to the bike. Do a search and you will find plenty about it on the forum.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. okay will do Derek and many thanks :)

16. Update : Ducati John got back and says he has never known a fault with the TPs .. Thinks it could be the ECU and if I get another the immobiliser aspect has to be deleted. Any experience of this and are all the 999s as they are getting old getting problems like this ? Apparently, their are only 112 still on the road now ...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information