1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bar Adjustment And Clutch Slave Cylinder.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Rumble, Nov 19, 2017.

1. New to me 1994 900ss.

To improve comfort a little, can I simply undo the two Allen screws on each handlebar/clipon and raise them up to the bottom of the upper yolk? I can't see why not as long as the clutch and brake fluid reserviors clear the screen etc?

Also, to make the clutch action lighter I'm looking at fitting an Oberon clutch slave cylinder. Is this a worthwhile modification?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Yes and yes.

My bars are as high as they can go. Just check for clearance on full lock.

I have an Oberon and much better than standard, makes a massive improvement with lightness of lever action. The later ie models have an improved clutch slave that was a lot better. The Oberon is a very good piece of kit. I even have another spare which will go on my next project SS as it's that good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thank you very much for the quick reply (-:
    The pinch bolts on the bars, just checked the Haynes manual which states 8-10Nm. This seems quite low, but I'm guessing that's correct?
    Oberon will be ordered right now.....

4. Yes, 8-10 nm IS low. Just nip them up with an Allen key held about halfway down. When you can't tighten any more using just finger/hand pressure, you'll be about there.

I was always taught by my Brother-in-Law, a bike mechanic with over 40yrs experience, that a good rule of thumb with smaller bolts is to to use the 'two fingers, halfway down, as tight as you can then get it' method. Whenever I've subsequently checked using a torque wrench, it's usually in the right ball park.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks, that's a good tip, much appreciated.

6. Yeah agree it's not tight enough that's hardly any torque. It's not alloy so can be a bit tighter

7. For a lighter clutch pull you could also just take out two springs from the pressure plate (assuming you have a dry clutch).

• Like Like x 1
  8. There is a competition on the SS facebook forum for a new, free, clutch cylinder. Much cheaper than the Oberon one and a 10% discount voucher for the losers....I had one on mine.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blast, already ordered the Oberon one :(

10. My SS came with the clip ons at the top.
    I suspect a previous owner may have dropped yours to make it racier...
    Another way to gat a light clutch is to do the quiet clutch mod by just rearranging the existing plates.
    It reduces the preload on the springs :)

11. Be careful when tightening the clip-ons pinch bolts, the original clamps were brazed and have been known to snap.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Be careful when tightening the clip-ons pinch bolts, the original clamps were brazed and have been known to snap.

13. Well that’s confidence inspiring... :(

• Like Like x 1
  14. And you are so right, hence my post about removing the top yoke :mad::(. Yes, at just 6Nm (calibrated torque wrench) one of the threaded pinch bolts holders snapped clean off!
    I've think I have sourced a replacement, but maybe aftermarket clip ons may be a better solution.
    Samurais two finger torque method is the way to go. Adopting this and I didn't break anything else!

PS - I have subscribed, the help you guys have given is already worth the fiver!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks for the tip oldrider :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information