1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Bar Risers

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Harlequin74, Jan 30, 2016.

1. hi all

If anybody has experience or advice on the best way to raise the bars and bring an inch or so closer, would be great to hear.

Thanks

2. ducati-beach-racer-1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hi Harlequin, I fitted a set of Gilles vario bars to my 999.
    Cant fault them.

4. I fitted a set of heli bars, loads of people rated them when I asked the question, they do the job very well, take the bars up and back as far as possible as there aint a massive amount of clearance tbh, do the job well but saying that when I opened the box I was pretty disappointed, think they look cheap in comparison to others and where they get there prices from I will never know, look like £50 would cover there quality(look fine when fitted though), cant find the receipt but if I remember correctly they were between 250 to 300 quid, there a direct and simple fit without changing any other parts other than the bars, an hour more than covered fitting,
    they really do make a massive difference, ive had 2 back opps and after fitting these and the sargent seat I can ride for hours no prob at all,

5. Thanks Bazzer, do you have any pics of them on the bike? Cheers

6. Thanks for that.

7. There was a mod of swapping bars that was popular on 999. I had already put cyclecat (unavailable now) on my bike so never tried it myself.

8. Have read about that.
    You switch them left for right and the angle becomes more level, effectively raising them.
    One guy posted he'd done it and it wrecked the handling. He then switched them back and handling became sweet again.
    That put me off trying it for myself.

Anybody know any more?? Could be worth revisiting...

#9 Old rider, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  9. A lot of guys liked the mod as I remember.

10. I think it's a pretty simple, free mod that does involve filing off some locating pegs for the controls but is otherwise very straightforward. Has to be worth a try I guess :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Just as an observation, i find my 999S pretty comfortable as standard, compared with the 748 I used to own which was radical (to me)...I couldn't ride it more than about 20 miles without getting serious pains in my neck and back....I guess everyone is a different shape and size ,whats good for one isn't always good for others.

12. It's only the neck thing that's a problem. Back and wrists are fine and my neck is fine if it's fast riding and there's air pressure against the helmet.

13. I fitted bar risers to my last bike a ZX10r and although more comfortable I felt it changed how the bike handled and didn't like it so changed back. Depends what you want from your bike I guess.

14. Not got any pic's but will get some taken this week

15. Thanks all.

Its the neck position rather than the wrists. Risers shouldnt change the handling, as the geometry wont have changed? Maybe getting used to it takes some time, as its more upright.

16. You are taking weight off the front wheel so it will affect handling. ;)

17. View attachment 63593 View attachment 63594 View attachment 63593 View attachment 63594
    Hi H, As promised pic.s of bar's View attachment 63590 View attachment 63591 View attachment 63590 View attachment 63591 View attachment 63592
    Hi H. pic's of bars as promised

ducati 001.JPG

ducati 002.JPG

ducati 003.JPG

ducati 004.JPG

ducati 005.JPG

ducati 006.JPG

ducati 007.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  18. Anybody got anything new on this?? My neck is not improving with age...

The Gilles only lifts the bars by 10mm according to their site - not a lot of mm per pound...

The Helibars offer more - 1 1/2" but still expensive for what they are - unless someone has some they'd like to sell me...

This seems like much better value but how do you know exactly what you're getting??
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/tophome-global/CNC-Clip-ons/_i.html?_storecat=5147760012

These seem more reasonable but for an 05 rather than 03 and 40mm sounds a little ambitious. They say you don't have to modify the fairing but what else might you need to do??
    http://www.emotouk.com/ducati/handlebars.htm

Anybody tried something similar they could recommend??

Do Not Sell My Personal Information