1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Barkbusters Save The Day (again)

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by steveb123, Oct 21, 2019.

1. I dropped the bike on Saturday, a zero speed topple over when trying to get of the bike when parking in a uneven, gravel lay-by. I manged to let the bike down reasonable gently. I'd removed the panniers and pillion foot peg hangers so the bike laid very flat to the ground. Luckily I was riding with two mates who got the bike upright for me. The good news is that the Barkbusters (handguard protectors) took the most of the impact
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately the front brake reservoir mounting broke on the plastic handguard, probally from man handling rather than impact with the ground. I did a temporary repair using some duct tape, which I carry under the seat (wrapped around an old 35mm film container which contains spare fuses).
    [​IMG]

The only other damage was a bit of gravel rash on the exhaust cover which will "polish out" as I'm not spending over £200 to replace. The foot peg and rear brake lever also touched down but into mud so weren't even marked let alone bent :)
    [​IMG]

So my my investment in a set of Barkbusters has saved the day again. The last time was on a tour of Tuscany in 2014. The bike (MTS1200S MY2013) was fully loaded (panniers, top box and tank bag) with my wife on the back. Another zero speed topple on gravel on a small side turning. The Barkbusters saved the bars, lever, mirror etc. and the panniers got a dose of gravel rash. I found out when I got home that an internal, plastic, support for the rear pannier lug was broken which was the reason for a bit of movement of the pannier which I didn't bother investigating while on tour.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Good to hear Steve. That saved you a few pounds.
    I also had a low speed off in France when the camber and gutter were so extreme I couldn't get my foot down in a hurry. A few scrapes on the pannier but the main damage was to the handguards which as you know are made of plastic so thin that a hard glare is likely to crack them. The replacement was £62 just for the lower part, the indicator light was salvageable.
    I've been looking for a set of Barkbusters for a DVT but they don't seem to be available. I bought a pair of 'universal' imitations on ebay but they don't fit - another £15 wasted :joy:

3. Both Barkbusters and SW Motech do the protectors for the DVT, SW is about £98 all in and the BB's around £130, search E Bay or SW Motech 's direct site under protection :)

4. Hi Pete,
    The Barkbusters model for the 1200 (MY 2015+), the Eundro and 1260 is the BLG-016. A quick search shows that Chainspeed sell them for £115 (free P&P for 2nd Class Post Office delivery, other options available). RG Racing sell them for £92.49 exc. VAT, that's £111 with VAT but I can't easily find the delivery charges. They are also on eBay for £110.99 + £4.95 from motorapidoracing.

£115 seems a lot given the "agricultural"design and crude attachment but they do the job very well.

#4 steveb123, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  5. Thanks Funners and Steve. Inspired by your posts I've searched again and found Barkbusters from Italy for £100.28 delivered - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BARKBUST...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

And Kobra's similar offering at £99.70 delivered. - https://www.sw-motech-shop.co.uk/KO...-Black.-Ducati-Multistrada-1200-S-Enduro-1260.

As you say Steve it seems a lot for what you get and I'm trying to convince myself they are worth it against my wallet which says 'what are the chances of dropping it again?'
    Two more drops and I'm quids in...........................

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just picked up a replacement "Guard, Knuckle, RH" [85110041A] for £48. 03 (inc. VAT) from Ducati Aylesbury - they had two in stock :)

7. Thanks Steve, that's cheered me up no end knowing I paid £14 more than you :worried:
    I think that the sale of handguard replacements is funding a major part of Ducati's MotoGP programme.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. If ever there was one obvious design change I would make to the otherwise excellent Multistrada is the mounting of front brake and clutch reservoirs.
    They should not be attached to the plastic handguard but on a metal bracket mounted to the brake and clutch lever assembly such as the Monster or other Brembo equipped Ducati.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. The same goes for the Clutch reservoir on the other handguard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Saved mine too, when some arsehole deliberately pushed it over.

• WTF WTF x 1
  11. Hi all. I dropped my multi coming out of the garage at walking speed. Damaged the hand guard ( throttle side, lower part of the guard ) £50
    Ball end off front break lever £100 and the lower tank / radiator guard at just short of £200 all replaced.fit bark buster Now, got mine from Hunts Motocycles in Manchester at the price of £92.50 inc vat + delivery £5.00 I think.
    A 17 plate DVT.
    www.huntsmotorcycles.co.uk
    Telephone 0161-432 1303
    I delt with a very happy to help guy called Jordan.
    Hope this information helps some of you.

12. Steve,
    Incredibly disappointing for you that this should happen, but as per one of our previous conversations about the Bark-Buster add-on, this is precisely why I fitted them as you advised.
    So thanks to you for this suggested mod', one that hopefully, when, not if, I manage to drop my 'pride & joy', these will help reduce the overall repair costs.
    Good shout mate :upyeah:

13. I can see the use but why do they have to be so ugly !!! :confounded:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Iconic parts were saying this might be a new project for them (or replacement stronger hand guards)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Even I have thought how "basic" the barkbusters are for the price - wouldn't be too difficult to design/make something better.

16. I've now succumbed to the knowledge base above and have ordered a pair from SW Motech. A slow drop of the bike can/does happen in a moment and I'd be so pissed off if it happened again and caused expensive damaged I could have avoided.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Peter - I still think it would be worth looking at alternative mounting for the brake and clutch master cylinders. There is a threaded bolt that could be used I would think. That's the weakest point of the design.

18. My SW Motech handguard guards paid for themselves the day after I fitted them; by doing exactly what they were designed to do, coincidentally on the way home from having the crash bars fitted.

19. I just ordered some from SW motech. They told me it will be a week or two due to a spike in demand. Guess that's generated from here :)

20. I had a look at some photos of the SW Motech hand guard protectors and they are similar to the original Barkbusters, just re-badged. It appears that you can get the SW Motech parts for less than Barkbusters - go figure.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information