1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Base Model Panigale V4 / Track Bike

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by DRR117, Nov 3, 2021.

1. My decision to sell my V4 for the 1199 earlier this year has come back to haunt me…. The V4 is just too good a bike and the 1199 is too exhausting and I’m now looking to get another panigale V4 :joy::joy:

If anyone has or knows or a Panigale V4 base model (no electric suspension) then let me know. Happy with damaged bikes as I’ll be tracking it anyway and it gives me something to do over the winter.

And as much as I’d love a V4R I don’t think the Mrs will permit such extravagance.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. My ‘19 S will be up for sale soon as I’ve bought a ‘21 model. I know you’re after a base model but you never know!

• Like Like x 1
  3. when you say exhausting.... ?
    What form does the exhausting take vs the v4?
    Please could you do a detailed comparison post for our delectation :)

4. How about settling in the middle at a 1299!? It's much more refined than an 1199, but probably not as good as a V4.

5. I know what you mean :D
    20211022_145041.jpg
    A bit gratuitous but couldn't resist. Andy

• Like Like x 5

6. Stunning

having ridden both. The v4 is a much more refined & easy to live with track tool.

Funny isn’t it, a few years ago the words ‘easy’ & ‘panigale’ would have had people laughing

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. FFS mate :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. of course I’d be happy to share my experience of the 2 machines (and 1299 as I’ve owned a couple of them as well)

firstly I’m no MotoGP god and don’t profess to be. I run at the faster end of the fast group and have raced in the past when I wasn’t quite as fat :joy: my views on the machines are in no way disrespecting any machine as they are all capable bikes far more capable than me. However…..

As I mentioned in another post, I sold my amazing 2018 V4 due to moving house and needing to free up some cash. I got a very well prepped 1199 of another forum member (JHP prepped engine, Nova box, Ti valves, Carrillo Rods, balanced shaft etc) which makes more power than the panigale R model (owner who had the bike had the R and dyno’d them back to back) now as if the 1199 wasn’t lairy enough this bike is quite something. Sadly my riding style means I spend a lot of time climbing all over the bike and as the bike is wheeling, sliding and generally tying it’s self up in knots I was finding in Cartagena last week I was coming in after 10 minutes of every session quite exhausted. To put it in some perspective, I managed a 1:42 on the 1199 fighting the bike for 3 days. My mate let me have a go on his new S1000RR on the last day, I had 5 laps and was able to lap just 0.5 a second slower than the time I’d been fighting for on the 1199. I was amazed how effortlessly the BMW could get around….. but I don’t want to go to the dark side

now my main gripe with the 1199 was, on the same suspension as the 1299 it handles completely different. Turns out the steering head bushes on all the panigale twins except the 1199 give it a shorter trail. So I swapped the bushes on the 1199 and it really does make a difference to front end feel. (Well for a panigale anyway :grinning:) but even with the handling upgrade I find the bike hard work to push compared with the V4. And I know it’s not all about lap times, we are all just out having fun….. but who are we trying to kid, we do it because we want to be faster than as many people as possible :laughing::laughing: and then @Spence flies past on his little V2 and makes you feel like you’ve parked up for a brew and a butty.

gratuitous panigale shot….

9B13BE26-A535-40C1-A4F9-30ED50895203.jpeg

Now I owned a V4 most of this season, and ran on the exact same Ohlins forks with Mupo CSP30’s in and a Mupo rear shock. The V4 is an absolute power house but far more manageable power. The same as the difference between the 1199 and 1299, the jump to the V4 was an incredible step forward in many ways but particularly the electronics.

Personally I found the V4 sublime to ride and putting my impulsive desire to buy a new bike every week as side it truly is a bike I regret selling.

the 1199, 1299 and panigale V4 are all incredible machines and I’m honoured to have had the luxury to own and ride them. I’m certainly not saying any are bad bikes as they are all magnificent in their own right, I just miss the blistering power of the V4, the sublime electronics that make you feel like a racing god and the noise of the V4.

7FFD2266-C3C5-41AB-99DD-85A82F0DF9F1.jpeg

I did actually buy a GSXR1000 K9 in an amongst the Ducati’s this year. I wouldn’t recommend it :joy::joy::joy::joy:

#8 DRR117, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. How about the difference between the 1299 and the V4? I've only had my 1299 for 4 months, but compared to my old S1000RR there seems to be a lot more gear changing on the Ducati. Some corners that I could use 2nd for on the BMW, need 1st on the 1299. And because of the lower rev limit, it sometimes feels like I'm short shifting coming out of corners. I really like the 1299, but I'm wondering if a V4 would be a lot better?

• Useful Useful x 1

10. The s1000rr IS a quicker bike remember and it revs a lot higher

11. what gearing are you running? -1 front or +2 rear (or both!!) make a huge difference to al;most every ducati ever built

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. im running the exact same setup (gearing, geometry, chain length, ride height) as Michele Pirro’s super stock 1199R championship winning bike, thanks to some insider info :bucktooth:

• Like Like x 1

13. Sounds like Dave Croft to me :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. But do you ride like Michele Pirro?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Had 2 1299’s, base and S model. Great bikes and a big step from the 1199. But that being said the V4 is a big step from the 1299. The evolution of the superbike makes the V4 the ‘better’ bike technically but it’s all down to rider preference at the end of the day. I loved my 1299 as demonstrated here…..

A1874348-BA5E-4FA0-A735-672AE749C172.jpeg

saying that I was a second quicker on the 1199 this year than I was on the 1299 at Cartagena last year :weary_face:

Basically get the bike that makes you smile and makes you feel great. Whether that be a 900ss or a panigale V4…… for me I want a V4, I want to tart about on track with wings again:grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Could be twins! Just waiting for my MotoGP test ride :motorcycleduc:

17. Didn't fancy the go eleven ride in Wsbk then? Suppose that's below you really :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. I meant Pauly lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. We couldn’t agree terms…. And when I suggested that baby blue livery would have to go we fell out. Chairs were thrown, expresso everywhere…. The usual stuff :joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. True, but as the 1299 and the gen2 S1000RR are around the same peak power, I thought the 1299 would make up for it at low revs. There was a 2 year gap between the 2 bikes, so maybe I've got the rose tinted specs on for the beemer. And on the road there would be nothing between them, for me.

#20 pauly, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
Do Not Sell My Personal Information