1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Bashing About The Picos And Long Term Adv Sports Review

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tobers, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Me and three pals had a hoon around the Picos in Northern Spain a couple of weeks ago. It is now, without doubt, my favourite place to ride a bike. I thought nothing could ever top the Alps, but the Picos is so much better. Stunning roads, amazing views, and hardly any traffic. Brilliant. And you don't need to expend 600 miles of tyre wearing miles riding there, just jump on the ferry, win all the quizzes, drink lots of beer and the next day ride 1 hour from Santander into the best roads you'll find.

My 2015 1200 DVT was superb as usual. It is just an epic motorcycle. No issues, just massive v-twin stomp everywhere. Easily the quickest bike for "normal" use out of the 4 we had with us (1200GS WC, S1000XR and KTM 950SM). Comfy, fast, superb handling, takes lots of luggage. Overall, just brilliant. I wouldn't want anything else.

As it happens, we created a video which I think you'll enjoy if you have any interest in what the Picos are like, and what the bikes are like after 1-2 years ownership.

• Like Like x 18
  2. Shhhhhsh! Don't tell everybody or they will all be down there and that would spoil it....

3. I know! And San Sebastian is stunning as well. The Spanish keep that well quiet too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. You know that Antelope sculpture at the viewpoint, about five minutes into the video...

Well....

Weyhey!!!!

...I just couldn't help myself!

(sorry!) :)

IMG_0021.JPG

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Most excellent behaviour! Some of our party did the same, but I decided to cut it out of the vid for taste purposes :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. I never need to ride 600 miles to get there!

• Like Like x 1
  7. San Sebastian is indeed lovely, did you go through the tunnel in to the old town? Had a great night there, bit less touristy :)

Did you do the pyranees as well? West to east through Jaca, Barbastro and into Ripoll along the N260 staggeringly good , it's an awesome country to ride eh!! :upyeah:

#7 Wayne58, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2017
  8. What did the trip cost you & what riding distance did you cover?

9. Also Tobe's, you got any good route recommendations ?

10. +1 Shhhhhhhhssh don't publicise this or we'll never get on the ferry!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Yes, the old town is gorgeous. Fab seafood everywhere, and thonged topless ladies on the beach for afters.

Didn't get over to the Pyrenees this time but I have been there before - fab riding everywhere.

We didn't do that much mileage actually. No more than 200 miles a day, but all of that would be stunning twisties. Some days we only did 100 miles, but every mile was amazing. The AirBnB was near Potes about £50/night each IIRC but much cheaper stuff available elsewhere too. Check the link in the video description for the current price of the AirBnB place.

Yes - many. I put a GPX file in the link in the video description on Youtube. It has several days worth of bloody amazing routes in it. You can dump it straight into your Garmin, or put it in Google Earth and take a look-see.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Had you just landed from a lunar mission?! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Blake Seven springs to mind ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Depends very much on time of year and when you book - look on the Brittany ferries website or call them up they are very helpful

We are going in early October for a short break

2 bikes 2 people in a 4 berth cabin including 5 nights b&b in a hotel 1.5 hours from santandear and 20 mins from Picos) was under £750.00

In the peak times the ferry can be much more - deals to be had if you book early or get the loyalty card which will save you a third (can be used to buy ticket for up to 10 people on same trip)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Great video Tobers, taking my pimped up DVT STD off to Santander Sunday for 2 1/2 weeks down to south France and Italy but might have a play around the Picos, did them last year but the weather was awful, the Brittany Parador route

16. IMG_0406.JPG

Great roads!!! Heading back over next week....

• Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. So given a choice.......Pico's or Pyranees next time ??
    Which do you rate more ??

18. Judging by the polished nature of the back of that bronze, I don't think he's the only one to do that :)

19. Yeah, I think that's a regular photo pose..... someone has also shot it in the head!!!

20. Picos for sure

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information