1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Basic Tuning Tips/expectations

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Denzil the Ducati, Apr 3, 2016.

1. My base MY03 999 has a Termi race can but it is obvious it has not been accurately set up for the exhaust. Exhaust note sounds woolly on tick over, engine speed is slow to drop down to tick over, tick over is steady but it has stalled inexplicably a couple of times - although it runs well on the throttle. I am planning on taking it to Chris Steadman and Rich Llewellyn for a set up and reflash. However before I spend the money on the reflash I was thinking that the things that ought to be done to maximize the power/torque like filter replacements and perhaps a decat pipe may need sorting so I get the changes made and a reflash for the whole lot done once.

I went through this cycle on the 748 with filters, air tubes, big bore cans, PC3 then sold the pc3 and had a map reflash. The overall power and torque increase after Chris and Rich had done the set up was a healthy 10-15% up from the basic factory set up - in fact power at the wheel was approaching 748r spec with a smoother torque curve. No engine work aside from servicing but it became a lovely bike to ride.

Not expecting anything near as much on the 999 but any indication of what I should expect would be good so I don't end up wasting Chris's time with repeat reflashes.

I am not looking to do any significant work to the motor so is the decat worth it, are performance filters any good, what sort or power torque changes could I expect?.

2. My 03 base 999 has a cored exhaust and PC3 and came with a readout showing 128.5 bhp at the rear wheel, plus a super smooth torque curve.
    Fuelling is faultless and it's really smooth and quick.

3. The best bang for buck you can do is to try to get hold of the 999S cams
    Instant 10HP increase, just drop in.

But like I have been told on another forum it's all about the pleasure / spending ratio.

4. 77.9 max torque
    Tweaked by Peak Performance of Exeter

5. OR have you still got the cat installed and has there been any changes to the filters? 128 and 78 would be more than welcome, fingers crossed for mine when it gets set up.

Imperium, I would love to, but this bike is not too popular with the better half ("you don't need 2 bikes!" apparently) so expenditure has to be carefully carried out (if you know what I mean). A service and map is going to be over £1k, another £500+ for a set of cams is a bit of a stretch.

Hi Steve, I have to say with back to back rides my 748 is a much more engaging bike to ride than the 999 although I have put hardly any miles on the 999 so have not really got to know it yet. The 748 is more difficult to ride well and a bike that requires a lot of input, for all that input it delivers great rewards but it is very much a sports bike, in some ways like a big noisy two stroke. The 999 is a "better" bike in the conventional sense, easier to drive and a lot more forgiving, however rather sanitised against the 748/916. My first impression was 'where has the Ducati gone', but it is still a treat to ride and much more suited to longer distance sport riding than the 748. The raw Ducati has been replaced with a civilised Ducati, if your 851/916 is as raw as I imagine, it must be a treat. I suspect you would hate the 999 initially but it would slowly grow on you, just like it has me.

6. Depends what you want to do, if it's just to get the bike running nice and smooth then Chris and Rich will do a fantastic job regardless.

To maximise the work then fitting upgrades etc will be worth the work, as mentioned above S cams with a good exhaust and performance filters will be good for 120-130bhp.

7. exhaust is straight through. It has termi size tail pipes but is otherwise standard bore.
    Filters appear to be oem.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information