1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Battery Replacement Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by al_b, May 23, 2018.

1. Can anybody recommend a suitable battery replacement for the DVT? I think mine is past it's best.

It didn't start this morning after a couple of starts last night in the garage. Had to jump it.

Cheers

2. Motobatt make good batteries. Had one for a while now and no issues. Has extra terminals too, which are good for accessories

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Just make sure it’s an Absorbant Glass Mat (AGM) acid battery. Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yuasa :) Halfords if you have a Trade Card...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Any reason not to buy a lithium-ion battery?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
  6. @AirCon :scream:

• Love You Love You x 1
  7. Without dredging up previous posts, it’s a bit of a minefield. LiFePO batteries do not like the cold so appreciate “warming up” by switching a light on for a minute or 2 before providing the much lauded higher cranking current. They do not like a constant drain from things like trackers and alarms and you cannot trickle charge them on a generic maintainer. Biggest issue is if your regulator/rectifier fails and pumps more than 15v into the battery. Modern Mosfet r/rs fail safe and there are LiFePO batteries that incorporate shunts like the Shido to limit the risks. The other issue is if you don’t replace batteries size for size, there is the faff of making the lithium battery fit securely. LiFePO batteries are becoming more common as original items and they do have their advantages but I’m not sure as an all year round rider, those benefits are worth the higher cost over an AGM battery. Hope that helps. Andy

#7 Android853sp, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Thanks Andy. I'll look at standard batteries!

Cheers.

• Love You Love You x 1
  9. The fires they cause can be useful for keeping you warm.... but as you said lets not dreg up the old posts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. If the cables are under that much tension then they clearly ain't EXACTfit!

11. Lots. Mainly, it wont start the bike on a cold, winters day and will barely start it on and nice sunny one ;)

Tech has moved on greatly, and even stuff like the pain comes with lithium now, but IME they are way more trouble than an old fished one, and for a 230kg multi saving a few hundred grams is not worth the bother :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. I don´t want to “steal” the post, but I have not been able to find in the user manual the type of battery which comes installed as standard. I would appreciate the info so, I can configure the charger during winter storage. Is it a AGM battery or standard?

13. Standard.

14. This makes no difference to the charge profile?
    Surely the question would be Standard or Calcium SIlver (basically this is charged twice).
    https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Had my 999 MOT'd a few weeks ago and saw a Motobatt lying around. Asked the guy what he thought and he said they'd stopped supplying them as too many issues and not enough support.
    With your forum Halfords trade card Yuasas are an absolute steal - 43 squids for my 999. Not that I need one - still going strong after 4 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. My charger (I do not remember the brand, but it is a well known one) has the option to select car/motorbike and standard battery or AGM battery.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information