1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icon Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Mark9, May 8, 2020.

1. 0C3F1A17-ED77-4AC6-B0B4-B66D6A1620D4.jpeg I just changed the battery, it only lasted 4 years which is a bit disappointing but never mind, just a note for anyone replacing theirs, where I have added red insulation tape the edge of the metal bracket is razor sharp, it’s perilously close to the loom, like 1 or 2mm close so I’ve also added a section of shrink tube taped and tie wrapped to the loom to protect it, it’s one to check on your own Scrambler as who knows how far the loom moves with vibration etc .(although there was no actual evidence of fretting I thought it worthwhile adding the protection).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Did similar to the ss, the battery connections were very close to the tank!
    Peace of mind and all that.

3. Same on my SS Carr, they’ve got the plastic covers but even so I’ve put thick gaffer tape on the underside of the tank in that position, a short there doesn’t bear thinking about :-0

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I've always wondered what that metal strip is for, I can't think of any sensible reason. Mine has plastic sleeve on the part alongside the battery and another over the tip.
    IMG_20200508_112408.jpg

It is held in place by plastic cover that also houses the USB socket
    IMG_20200508_112220.jpg

Still on the original battery too at 5 years old.

5. Hi Derek, yes mine has the plastic tip but it crossed the loom further down the bracket so I extended the insulation with red tape, I also have no idea what it’s for, hopefully someone will be along to tell us!.

6. I see that your loom seems to lie differently from mine. Probably they vary slightly depending on who puts them together.

7. Derek you don’t think that bracket is there to allow you to use a crocodile clip battery charger do you?, i.e. to allow access, I’m not sure why they’d bother but I can’t really think of anything else! (Possibly makes it easier to locate the bolt hole over the battery terminal when fitting the battery at the factory? ?)

8. I can't really imagine the factory thinking about someone using croc clips to charge the battery. As far as Ducati would be concerned there is a 12V battery connection available through the diagnostic port which they sell chargers to fit. Although I believe that for some markets the Scramblers came ready fitted with a SAE charger cable.
    It may be that the bracket is simply for a technician to get quick access to measure the battery voltage using meter probes.

9. ‘Tis a mystery!, however I have PM’d the oracle so we should know soon!.

10. Who is 'The Oracle'?

11. Ha! Of course.

12. Nellys answer :

Apparently........... you can use it to start the bike off a power pack? It’s also handy for jiggling the positive terminal around when doing it up.

13. If I was starting it with a power pack I'd be taking the battery cover off to get directly onto the battery terminals - it's only one screw. Handy for jiggling the positive terminal right enough.

14. I'd be taking a fine file to the sharp edges/corners before taping them. A sharp edge or corner is still sharp and can pierce your tape... Stitch in time, etc...

15. You’re right Keith, that’s the correct thing to do but I was too quick to put the tape and shrink sleeve in place, and then thought hmmm, I should have deburred that really, it’ll be fine! :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information