1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Battery Woes

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Mike1981, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Hi all, I've had my 2006 749 for just over a year (brought from a forum member) the bike has been faultless, but on Friday I took the bike into work, it started perfectly in the morning (I fitted exact start cables when I got the bike).
    10 hours later I got to the bike turned it on and it wouldn't fire up, the voltage was reading low, it started up fine with a booster pack though.
    I assume the battery is at fault but don't want to put a new one on and have that fail aswell.
    Could someone explain how I can check the reg, rectifier etc.
    Thanks all

20181012_175226.jpg

#1 Mike1981, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  2. Around 13.5 to 14v output over battery terminals at around 2krpm.
    If not, possible reg/rec issue.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Are you sure you didn't leave lights on?
    You can always take the battery to a battery supplier and get them to check it out

4. The most effective change/mod/upgrade I made to my 749 and I have upgraded most components over the years is the battery, I finally after 5 years fitted a lithium battery, now its a different bike, starts first time, can leave the lights on, can shut the bike at lights or in traffic and it still starts, I was waiting for my battery to die to change it it, wish it died earlier or I wasn't so mean!

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  5. I left the parking light on:confused::laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  6. if you had a lithium battery it wouldn't matter!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Are you sure about that?
    I’m not...

8. Haha

9. Yes, it might not be a problem leaving the lights on...
    this a 'top quality' Lithium Battery from a Ducati 1198S but they do seem to burn more 848/1098/1198's than 749/999's to be fair :)

untitled.png

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. Depend is you have experience to make a comment? if so explain the comment!

11. I would love to fit a lithium battery to my motorcycle as they have several advantages, not least weight.
    However, I have been persuaded by others that fitting one to a bike with a charging system designed for Pb is risky, so I haven't done it and therefore don't have direct experience. Equally, I don't have direct experience of taking strychnine, arsenic or falling off a cliff but I still avoid them.
    As I am interested in the idea of fitting a lithium battery, I have taken great interest in them and I think, have a pretty good idea of the arguments for and against.
    As I understand it, they are lightweight, provide lots of starting punch and keep their charge very well but only if there is no drain. If there is a drain, then they are no better or worse than Pb. (hence my comment)
    Except that if they fall too far below their operating voltage, I understand they cannot then be revived.
    Please correct me where I am wrong.

#11 Old rider, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. Sorry, Im a dick I drank and smoked too much and have no idea of what I am talking about, sorry to offend!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. As you appear to be a fellow Cornishman, I will forgive you ;) lol

14. @finm ?

Clean-up in Aisle 4, Pasty Boy!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. They can, and even better than lead-acid batteries. I accidentally drained my Shorai LiFePo completely empty last spring but the dedicated Shorai charger still brought it back to life. Has worked fine ever since.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. no, they made their mess, they can tidy it up. and by the looks of it, yer man did the right thing and made a fine job of it too.
    you S/Eastern lot could learn a thing or two from this thread..

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Well said, Mr South-Western!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FFS...... ad nauseam
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I do love a decent pasty but I'm really fussy about them being decent.
    Nothing worse than a nasty pasty ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. @AirCon , why the face palm??

Do Not Sell My Personal Information