1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Bayliss 1098r

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Steve Whitton, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Off to view a Bayliss 1098 R on Friday but have been told to check the tank very carefully as the are produced in some sort of plastic and are affected by the methanol in petrol, one source suggested checking the expansion of the tank relative to the gap between the tank and bracket and rose joint on the steering damper !!
    Has anyone any experience or views on this ?
    Thanks
    Steve

2. A known and well documented issue with the 1098/1098R and as you have been advised, one of the easiest ways of telling is to check the gap between the steering damper bracket and the tank. A note of caution, the 1098R steering damper bracket is bolted the frame and a common thing is for washers to be put behind the bracket to space it off the frame. I had to do that on my track tank. You should be looking for a gap of several millimeters not several fag papers. Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. As Andy said above. Or if in doubt buy the bike and fit an alloy tank

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brushed ally tanks look amazing....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. If the tank has expanded does it make it dangerous, will it split ?
    What size gap (2mm - 4mm - 6mm or more ) you expect to see between the outer edge of the rose joint and the tank at the dampers worst position

6. I have heard in some cases by removing the tank from the bike and decanting all the fuel for many months,the tank can return to it's normal position,but don't quote me on it.

7. As far as I have seen reported, the swelling is not detrimental to the safety of the tank. The tank eventually rubs against the steering damper bracket. This is my track tank and the steering damper bracket has a 1mm washer behind each bolt. If I remember correctly, the gap should be at least 3mm maybe 4mm. Andy
    84DB517A-6810-4AB4-80ED-6834647A76AC.jpeg DF78E731-2E34-4E14-8823-06D9CCCC1A07.jpeg 68D132AD-4D13-4354-A05C-E19CAC756D11.jpeg

8. Nearly all plastic tank bikes suffer the same fate, not just Ducatis.
    Something to do with the composition of the plastic and its willingness to absorb moisture from the ethanol in the fuel which absorbs moisture from the air.
    Not dangerous unless it's an extreme case. Just wait until it's all E10 fuel:mad:

9. Why did the tank on my KTM 690 Enduro which sits under the seat not do it?
    Probably a stupid question but I know nothing whatsoever about this problem.

10. Depends on what plastic it is made from. Andy

11. KTM plastic.Far superior to Ducati plastic obviously:D

14. Viewed the 1098R Bayliss today, absolutely mint with only 1760 miles, full service history, complete with paddock stand, plaque, original unused cover and original exhausts still in the Ducati boxes.
    So out with the phone and funds transferred, delivery next Wednesday
    CANNOT WAIT !!!

• Like Like x 8
  15. Great stuff! Pics when it arrives :upyeah:

16. Well done, that’s even less than mine.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information