1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Bbs Removal ~ How To? ~ Help!!!

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Riviera81, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Hi all,

I've searched and can't find a related thread to this one, so apologies in advance if it's duplicated another.

I got caught out in torrential rain whilst riding my 1199 today. This has resulted in BBS warning appearing on dash, along with EML and no longer a gearshift position (constantly reads 1). Brilliantly, my throttle started behaving weirdly and stuck open a few times too!

Some searching suggests that some moisture has found its way to the BBS unit, the question is, how do I remove it, in order to dry it and check the connectors? The aperture under the rubber boot in the top of the subframe doesn't seem big enough for it to come out from above, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere for it to come out from underneath - directly underneath it is exhaust/heatshield.

Please can someone help?

Many thanks!

bbs.jpg

2. Many thanks Bettes!

3. Condensation can sometimes be found on the BBS connector pins even under ideal circumstances. Search the "Breaking It Down, The 1199 Files" videos for more information, or take a look at the following link. Examine the BBS contacts closely. A magnifying glass may be necessary to see the condensation. Dry and spray the contacts with a suitable contact cleaner.

4. Thanks!

So going by that vid, the fairings and tank need to come off, in order for BBS removal?

5. Remove the ignition cover and the left/right air conveyors.

Remove the upper fairing from the right-hand side of the vehicle thereafter. Removal of the upper fairing on the right-hand side of the bike will allow the fuel vent hose to be disconnected from its support on the radiator mounting bracket. This will provide a small amount of hose slack and make removal and refitting the hose(s) to the front of the tank easier.

Remove the upper fairing from the left-hand side of the vehicle and disconnect the battery. Network nodes such as the BBS are sensitive. Disconnect the battery to avoid inadvertent damage.

Remove the rider's seat.

Remove the fuel tank. Remove the two fasteners holding the fuel tank to the front mounting bracket. Remove the two nuts and two bolts which secure the top of the fuel tank's rear mounting bracket to the subframe and remove the upper bracket portion. Remove the ground lug from the rear of the tank. Lift the rear of the tank up slightly and disconnect the connector from the fuel pump. Lift the tank slightly higher and disconnect the quick-release coupler from the bottom of the tank. Lower the rear of the tank back into place. Lift the right front of the tank up slightly and release the two vent hoses from the right front corner of the tank. Lift the tank of off the vehicle and set it aside.

Remove the two fasteners which hold the lower half of the fuel tank's rear mounting bracket to the subframe. Remove the lower bracket portion.

Remove the BBS. Push the small rubber nipple which holds the BBS in place through the subframe. Push the BBS forward until the connector can be released from the BBS. Disconnect the connector. Remove the BBS.

Examine the BBS carefully. A magnifying glass may be necessary to view the small droplets of condensation that's often found in this area. Spray/clean the contacts with a suitable contact cleaner (I've had good results with WD-40's Electrical Contact Cleaner) and reassemble.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Many, many thanks for your super detailed walk through! I had almost decided to pick up the phone to Ducati, but now think I will have a go myself. Stupid question, the bike has almost a full tank of fuel onboard. What's the easiest way to deal with this if I need to remove the tank? Am I correct in presuming that the quick release you refer to has some sort of valve in it, that stops fuel coming out when it is disconnected? Thanks again!

#8 Riviera81, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  7. Syphon the fuel into a Jerry can, the tank is unmanageable full. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Or if you don't fancy a mouthful of fuel you can buy small pumps which attach to a drill which makes the job a doddle

9. Yes, you're correct. There's a valve in the quick-release coupler. There's absolutely no need to drain any fuel from the tank. When the quick-release coupler is opened a small (vey small) amount of fuel will dribble out.. that's normal, no need for concern.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Okay, so here's an update peeps!

Fairings and tank removed, to enable removal of the BBS module. Put that in the airing cupboard overnight and attacked it and the connector plug on the loom it plugs into with contact cleaner and then compressed air. Hooked battery back up and switched ignition on. The dash warning which was on, which said "BBS!" is now gone, but I still have no gear indicator and EML light on. Previously the dash also kept saying side stand, which it doesn't now (when stand was up). The only warning showing says "gear sensor."

Any ideas???

Would a faulty gear sensor put EML on and cause sticking throttle, and side stand confusion, or is it possibly a combination of a damp BBS module and a prob with gear sensor???

11. Sometimes the Panigales need to be ridden for a while and the ignition key cycled a couple of times to clear some faults. Have a go, it might clear the faults... mine did.

12. By chance, do you have diagnostic software (such as MelcoDiag) at your disposal? Software such as this can help you read trouble codes and resolve problems. If the "gear sensor" warning is displayed on the dash, the gear position sensor (GPS) could obviously be defective. This is a common point of failure on the 1199. If it is defective, it will be necessary to raise the side stand and pull in the clutch to start the vehicle. Even then, the vehicle will run improperly (if the gear sensor is actually faulty) because the vehicle won't recognize what gear it's in, and consequently it won't be able to adjust fueling parameters as required. The gear position sensor connects directly to the BBS and communicates with the vehicle's ECU via the CAN bus. If the GPS is indeed faulty, the following videos may be of some use:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Many thanks! I've actually just been watching your video on Youtube covering the GPS. I think I had a damp BBS module and by coincidence the GPS has failed at the same time.

I don't have any diagnostics, so the bike is booked in with my local Duc dealer later this month for diagnostics and repair. It's also due its annual service, so all can be done at once.

Thanks again for your help!

• Like Like x 1
  14. You might consider diagnostic software when you have a chance. With the exception of the two cables required for connectivity, the software (MelcoDiag) is free to download. It allows you to reset oil and desmo service indications, view stored fault codes, reset various sensors, and so on and so on. A link to a cable supplier (conveniently located on your side of the pond) is shown below.

https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Guzzidiag-Melcodiag-4pin-Interface-Cable

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Brilliant! I shall definitely have to sort this out! Thanks again for your help!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information