1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bead Breaking Tricks

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Sambighair, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Ive been quoted silly money at a few garages to put new tyres on my rims so i thought instead of paying through the nose for a job i can do myself ill get a set of tyre levers and rim protectors and have a go, i just thought id ask the collective brain if you know of any easy ways of breaking beads without a proper bead breaker?

2. its a 5 min job to swap tyres over if there on loose wheels mate. Its a ball ache trying to do them by hand.

3. Quite a few tips on youtube; some interesting & wacky techniques.
    I use a heavy duty ratchet clamp. The beads always seat & let go easier with some sort of lube like soapy water.

#3 Swiss T, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  4. abba stands do wheel changing gear

5. 2 lengths of 4x2 a spade and some hobnail boots :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. my local backstreet guy who is a keen track day God/ex racer did mine for £10 balanced.

7. Treat yourself to a bead breaker! can still make you sweat in the Summer though:D and if you're buying rim protectors get the hard plastic ones, they last better than the soft ones!

8. I have changed many tyres with nothing more than a few bits of wood, very quick and easy to do on all of my bikes. If I had a loose wheel I would take a photo and show you how, but all the bikes have the wheels fitted at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I struggle even with the home kit tbh. I can save £50 on a pair of PR4s if O do the multi myself

10. That's not the bead breaking tho, that's easy, it's getting the 'inside' of the tyre off without a) destroying the rim or b) destroying everything around me in frustration:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. I have successfully levered the beads off the rim with a length of fence post in the past, but if you're thinking of changing your own tyres regularly I would suggest buying an Abba bead breaker.
    They're not a lot of cash, work very well and are much more compact and easier to store than other types.
    Other cheap options might be to use a vice or large g-clamps to squash the sides of the tyre together.

You can buy tyre levers and rim protectors if you like but I never use them.
    Instead I use ....and recommend most highly.... the cable tie method.
    This holds the beads close together in one part of the tyre so that they can both go to the very bottom of the "well" in the rim, thus providing maximum clearance to slip the opposite side over the edge of the rim.
    I usually use nothing more than my thumbs to push the tyre.
    I do have to hand a pair of very short, plastic bicycle tyre levers, just in case it needs a small tweek, but it usually doesn't.
    No danger at all of damaging your rims this way, so you won't need rim protectors.
    ......I change tyres myself on my carbon wheels.

Re-seating the beads is quite tricky sometimes.
    I have managed once with a footpump but mostly you'll need a much faster supply of air than that.
    Remove the valve core to allow maximum air flow when doing this.

• Like Like x 1
  12. To break the beads I use a wooden wedge and a big hammer, it's never failed and never had any damage, I used to change tubeless lorry tires the same way. A length of fuel pipe split lengthways will do for your rim protectors while you lever them off.
    Steve

13. Bloody brilliant you lot! Thanks for the replies! Im going to give it a bash at weekend. Its as much about saving money as it is about gaining the experience!

14. I changed my own tyres once...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pays for itself in the money you save by buying cheaper tyres in the internet and not having to pay for fitting either.

I reckon two to three sets of tyres and you've more than for your money back and learned a new skill to boot!

16. This ^ I had to remove the tyre from my old Triumph wheel last night; the tyre wall & bead were so stiff & the clearance so minimal I just couldn't get the inside bead off with the kit I have. I did get a good workout though!

In the end, I lost it & cut through the bastard with a grinder; that will teach it!

Pesky Triumph............

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. The full Abba kit in the link is not entirely necessary.
    I bought just the bead breaker.
    As for balancing (the other part of the kit) I bought a simpler kit which fits on a normal paddock stand.
    Cheaper ... and much easier to store when not in use.

Oh, and the cable tie method is just as good for refitting the tyre as it is for removing it.
    Again, the only other tools I use are my thumbs.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information