1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Belt Change

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Townsend6413, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Hi all, does anyone have a crankshaft turning tool and cam holder that they might kindly lend me to change my belts on my 848.

2. I used bike in 6th on a paddock stand instead of a crank turning tool and the can looking tool I bought was a PITA and didn't use it in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks. Will work with that advice. Just thought I'd try be prepared for the job before starting. Might give the valve clearances ago at the same time

4. Agree with CR about the cam locking tool. In my experience, it was easier to twist the cam wheel with a few fingers on one hand whilst pushing the belt onto the teeth with the other hand.
    The problem with the cam locking tool is that it can fix the wheels in such a position that's it's impossible to line up the cam wheel's grooves with the belt's teeth.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mark ya cam wheels against a reference on the motor before you remove the belts. There's no timing marks on them or the covers on 848.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. The crank turning tool (by Laser iirc) is not expensive and worthwhile imho because it keeps things super simple by just needing to perform a 90 degree turn between one belt and the other.
    I took Chris Kelley's advice on not needing a cam locking tool and he was right.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information