1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belt Drive 900ss Carbie - Could It Be Exempt From The London Ulez (ultra Low Emissions Zone) Charge?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by bluemoon15, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Hi everyone,

Forgive me if my search has missed the information I’m now looking for. There are various posts about exemption from the London ULEZ (Ultra Low Emissions Zone) charge but, so far as I found, no mention of the belt drive 900ss carbie. So my question is as follows:-

Does anyone know whether a 1996 belt drive 900ss carbie does or may meet the criteria for exemption from the London ULEZ charge, even though it pre-dates Euro 3? The reason I ask is because I would like to know whether it’s worth trying for an exemption by going through various bureaucratic hoops. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1

2. Thanks for replying so quickly, Andy. I should have made my post clearer - sorry! The 1996 carbie is NOT exempt according to the TfL checker, but can I get round that?

Essentially (I believe) that if the bike’s NOx level is below the permitted level then (by going through various bureaucratic hoops) the bike can be exempted from the ULEZ charge, whatever the TfL checker claims. The maximum NoX level permitted by Euro3 is 0.15, apparently.

So how likely is it that a 1996 carbie 900 ss will have a NOx level below 0.15?

Thanks everyone (and sorry again, Andy). Alastair

3. Thanks, Shorty 4045 - that's helpful. What I'm trying to work out is whether there is even a prospect of the belt drive 900 carbie satisfying the NOx criterion - no point in having the bike tested if it has little prospect of passing. The 916 is fuel injected of course.

So I'm back to asking how likely is it that a 1996 carbie 900 ss will have a NOx level below 0.15?

Incidentally I believe that there are ways to get exemption which do not require the particular bike to be tested. TfL will accept a Copy of the vehicle' s Conformity Certificate or (apparently) a letter from the vehicle manufacturer's
    homologation department" signed by a named individual from the
    homologation department which contains the following information (a letter from customer services or a dealer will not
    be accepted):
    - Vehicle registration mark (VRM)
    - Vehicle identification number (VIN)
    - Euro standard the vehicle was manufactured to
    - Fuel Type
    - Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) value".
    Alastair

4. My perception is that these bikes struggled to meet the general emissions standards at the time they were manufactured, so the chances of them meeting these ultra low emissions standards are slim indeed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Just punched my reg in, 1995 carb, and it said

No ULEZ charge due for this marvelous vehicle
    This vehicle meets the emission standards for ULEZ so you don't have to pay this charge when driving within the zone.
    Furthermore, we would be delighted to welcome such a fine classic within the Central London zone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Both my 95 carb ss and 97 SPS are eligible for the ULEZ boo!!!

7. My 1998 916 was eligible to pay but passed the NOx test yesterday with 0.08 g/km and is now exempt :)
    See previous post with link to testing station

8. Hi Shorty4045,
    I've been meaning to reply for ages - it's great to hear that your 916 passed the NOx test. Happy Days! I've still not found out if there's a realistic chance of my 900ss pasing the test, as it happens

9. It would appear so, I don’t think they have had a bike fail yet!

It costs £175 to find out though ....

Mine failed on the first attempt ... they then taped over one of the air intakes and that reduced the NOx levels from 0.16 g/km down to 0.08g (0.15 g/km is the max to pass)

Turn up with standard air filter fitted (aftermarket versions can cause a failure apparently)
    Good luck

Do Not Sell My Personal Information