1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 999 Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Axe, Nov 19, 2014.

1. My recently purchased 999 is gonna need some new rubber soon.....would appreciate any feedback on what I should go for.....road use only.Thanks:)

2. Track?
    Fast Road?
    Slow road?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Plenty out there to choose from. Can recommend the pilot power 3. Best tyre ive ever ridden on (road) and well priced with the money off voucher I redeemed for buying them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dunlop Sportsmart 2's are lovely, I really rate them for track and fast road riding.

I'm currently evaluating Metzeler M7RRs ... awesome wet or dry but I haven't really pushed them yet. I think I'm going to like them.

5. Diablo Rosso Corsa. Keeps winning best tyre award in the mags despite not being 'upgraded' every 6 months. Get the 180 with the higher profile, suits the 999.

OGR

6. Decided to go for the same as Loz and just had a pair of metzler m7 RRs' fitted :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. What`s looking good in the 2017 range guys for a 999 ?

8. Still on Metzelers... no complaints

9. M7 RR ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I've tried them all over the years. These Avon sport are the best I've ridden on .

11. No chicken strips on that rubber:thumbsup:
    Thanks for the heads up.

12. Diablo Rosso 3 will probably be going on mine next. Excellent on 996.

13. Hi. I’ve just bought a 999. My first one. It needs tyres. Can someone please give advice. It’s for road riding use only. Hopefully in the dry.

14. 180 profile M7RRs as stated previously

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pure road would be Rosso 3 for me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hi. Thanks. I got some and they are awesome. Very stable and corners like on rails.

17. I've had mitas sport force (£110 a set) and recently pirelli superbike slicks (£350 a set) on my 999. So I like to think I have a good comparison.

I'm lucky that I'm a bike mechanic and get to ride alot of different tyres with work and I'm also a Motorsport engineering student and get to work with alot of racers, in my opinion 90% of tyre choice is in your head. I go faster with better tyres, not because they give me more grip but because I know they have the ability too and I think others are the same.

A close friend and racer uses sport touring tyres and he's the fastest guy I know on the road, knee down in the rain kind of guy. Ever since I've known him I've always gone with touring tyres, you can't get the potential out of something like supercorsas, m7rr...etc on the road and in my view they're a waste of money unless you want to look cool in the car park with your cut slicks. Sport touring stuff will heat up nice and quick and not catch you out in a downpour, and generally they have softer carcases which absorb the bumps and won't let you feel like your on ice when cold.

My best advice on an actual tyre choice is anything new, tyre technology moves fast and compounds now are far more advanced than they were 10 years ago. Something like a road smart 3 Dunlop or Michelin road 5 would be your best bet for everyday riding. Personally if it's raining I stay on the sofa not the road so I'm happy enough with my Mitas tyres, they're shockingly bad in the wet but they have a 'touring compound' so they last ok and have a great aggressive profile which makes them nice and flicky in the twisties.

Just my two cents :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. You've got your head on the right way buddy. Battlax 21's on my 999s. Haven't fallen off yet.

19. I do agree that a lot of this is in your head. My bikes road use only (so far). I’ve got the M7rr. They fitted 190’s and more experienced than I say 180. But I have to say they are great. Really good grip and with 1500 miles on them they are still in great condition. I also like the look of them over some others esp the Michelin ones. I can’t get to the very edge on the road but with my boot grinding the Tarmac last weekend they will do for me.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information