1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Lacquer For Carbon Fibre?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bluehawk, May 10, 2017.

1. As the title suggests? What's the best lacquer to buy (rattle can job)

Some of the cf is beginning to look a bit tired. Any tips?

Thanks in advance. G

2. I just rubbed mine down with Scottish brite, washed with thinners then lacquered with cans from Halfords. Good enough for me. :upyeah:

Ian

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Cheap lacquer doesn't last especially if subjected to the sun and UV rays. So select the best that you can find.

You would be much better using a spray gun and a quality lacquer in order to obtain a sufficiently thick enough coat to offer a good finish and deep enough to offer good protection.

If you do want to go the aerosol route then your best bet is to buy lacquer in a can from a motor factor and use an MS or HS (Medium or High Solid) lacquer reduced accordingly and placed in the can for you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. If it must be rattle can, you can get a 2 pack version. Search e- bay etc.
    If you change your mind and have it gun finished, something like a front mudguard thats prone to chips can be done in ceramic clear which is a lot more durable ( used to re-furb headlights and also on paintwork on top end cars. Has to come out super clean though as you have a short window to do any de-nib and polishing)
    After prep use a panel wipe type cleaner to degrease as if painted previous with aerosol etc, thinners can get you in world of pain!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. U-pol No1 UV resistant clear lacquer.
    Used it myself a couple of times with excellent results.
    I've also seen loads of recommendations from others who have also used it.

Give it a couple of weeks to harden off completely and then polish with fine wet/dry and/or cutting compound for a deep, glassy finish.

Before you use anything, take great care to remove any wax polish residue from any pinholes.
    In extreme cases, try scrubbing with meths and a toothbrush.
    Actually, I'd do that anyway, as a precaution.
    (If you still get problems, try vigorously brushing the first coat on, then cutting back before spraying).

6. This is the best aerosol lacquer I've used and got good results on CF :upyeah:
    zoom_Final_Systems_2K_HS_Clearcoat_Aerosol_400ml.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Available from? Or is it trade only Toby?

8. It should be available to anyone, I get it from a local supplier I used to be next door to - Home

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information