1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Best Regulator Rectifier For 1999 748 Sps???

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Chris.King1, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Looking to replace the regulator (rectifier) on the SPS. I've seen a few with MOSFET technology, M&P do one for £50.00...although seems a bit cheap to me. Any recommendations?

The Battery on the negative post has corrosion, which I know happens due to the natural chemical process, but I am unsure of the battery's age, so that will be replaced too, along with a new rectifier.

2. You will need a kit that includes the plug/socket adaptor to fit old to new as the connections are different and most of those kits on eBay are around the £100 mark so yes the M&P offerring which looks as though it is just the regulator, is cheap. Most popular replacement battery is a Yuasa AGM. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sounds sensible, so basically this kit will hook the new reg/rec from a more modern bike into the sps. As for battery, I have always had Yuasa, so will most probably stick with them

4. T2500676 From a Triumph dealer. These were under £10 when we first started doing the mosfet mod.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Well adapter bought. Now for the Reg/Rec...may aswell do it proper...thanks for all the advice, will look for a genuine one of a Pani I think

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. And one of these each.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Out of interest...anyone heard of the Electrosport R/R?...https://www.electrosport.com/collec...ucts/esr532-regulator-rectifier-ducati-010-1a

I heard Electrex, UK supplied US based Electrosports with the R/R to distribute, and then the US company copied the design as was not protected and outsourced manufacturing to China. Not sure how true, but some digging online suggests this. Was going to go for one of these.

8. That’s just replacing like with like, only a Chinese copy of a copy that you’ll end up paying import tax and vat on. Stick with #9, @chrisw knows his stuff. Andy

• Like Like x 2
  9. The chinky copies are bogus.

10. Will go with triumph adapter and a genuine oem MOSFET R/R.

The electrosport one has MOSFET technology apparently and the same design as the electrex UK ones...£80 from M&P, but after spending my 12hr night shift reading up on these, its a definite no no, as seems to be nothing more than the SHUNT versions with a little revision....https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Sup...tifier-Unit-/130799603024?txnId=1539615327003

11. I stuck a panigale or diavel r&r a couple of years ago and it has been faultless. Think I paid about £40 or so and less then a tenner for the triumph link cable.

12. Get the shindengen mosfet and forget it, when my first reg/ rec failed I replaced it with a new Electrex unit, it lasted 13 months, I replaced that one with a shindengen unit seven years ago, I now have complete confidence and peace of mind.
    Steve

• Useful Useful x 2
  13. just need to find a R/R now, plenty about.

Out of interest, I have a spare new oem Ducati R/R which I will keep, just in case, it is part no. 54040131A...is this the early version or later? I know the 1999 sps used the later "improved" version.

14. The last one used on the later 996 bikes (2001 model) was 54040111C

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Thanks, I think the one I mentioned was for early models, but is 2 phase which I presume 99 sps uses???, may as well frame it and hang it up. Btw, my R/R is the original, but just looking to upgrade, the old girl deserves it

#19 Chris.King1, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  16. They're now £20 from Triumph. Still a good price though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information