1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Way To Advertise A Bike For Sale In The Uk?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Ian149, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Hi all, I'm just in the process of selling my 848 on the forum here but now want to reach more people. Never sold a bike privately before and am looking for the cheapest, safest and most effective medium.
    I guess the contenders are Autotrader, Gumtree, MCN and E-Bay but not sure of the cost, exposure to idiots and exposure to genuine potential buyers these platforms entail.
    Any advice from experienced sellers out there?
    Cheers,

2. Just bang it up on here first and give it a couple of weeks

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Perhaps another two contenders;Motorcyclenews & carandclassic.

4. Avoid Facebook market place if you don’t want to be dealing with a ‘whose who’ from the shallow end of the gene pool!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Autotrader for me mate. Ebay fees are very high (i think). FB is full of wankers! MCN waste of time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Use eBay for the largest crowd.

Study what very similar bikes to yours sell for over a couple of weeks.

Get great pics ( same style as those bikes that sold).

Price your bike the same or slightly less than the ones that sold, I'd try first with a classified ad.

You won't have to deal with too many people as the bike will likely sell quickly.

7. My brother has been messaging you for a couple of weeks about it and is keen and relatively local

#7 iang27, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hi,
    He said he was going to call about a week ago but haven't heard anything yet Ian.
    Cheers

9. Any idea how much they charge? E-Bay seems to have the biggest audience and I like the idea of a classified add.

10. Don't tell me we've time wasters on this forum as well.:rolleyes::punch:

11. He messaged you but got no reply and he messaged you again this morning but had no reply as of earlier tonight.

12. Just had a thought we've had notifications problems on this forum and the computer geeks are looking into it i think, @Ducbird

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yes we do
    Keep an eye on notifications manually through your forum account

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. ...and stop spying on me.;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Cost me under £20 ( if i recall correctly) to sell an old Gsxr750 for £3K last year on Ebay, and it sold pretty quick with no real time wasters, Fees possibly depend on the value of the bike/vehicle being sold though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. @Ian149 check your messages :)
    Anyone with hotmail/bt email your notifications via email aren’t working so check your PM’s here don’t rely on a notification at the moment

17. To check sales prices for similar items, search 'Ducati 848' as per usual in 'Motorcycles & Scooters' section. Then in the left hand margin, where you'd narrow the search to e.g. UK only, scroll down to find 'Completed Items'. Tick the box and you'll see what has sold and the price realised, either as a Classified, or in auction.

At present fees for a Classified (to run for 28 days) are £19.99 all in.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Seems to be a problem as I didn’t get any notification but did connect via phone so no problem.

19. Looks good to me. I’l try that. Cheers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information