1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Cyclists/ebikers

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by DucatiScud, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Don’t know tbh Nelson, I haven’t ever run Shimano on a road bike only ever on a MTB where hearing rubs and rattles is just ‘normal’ for off road cycling IME.

On a road bike it’s does your head in.

2. Agreed! F'ing hate it.! Something to be fixed in my mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. First ride in a good couple of weeks, maybe three. 18 miles in the cold, windy darkness was plenty, it felt like 40 .

• Like Like x 3
  4. it is a funny old world, as they say:- pure coincidence, but i'd been nursing a distorted outer cable* (for front gear changer) on my RidgeBack Genesis 001 since I bought it, and just put up with it but the friction was building through the winter so sacrificed a ride today and changed it, Took twice as long (as usual) as forgot about the nylon liner when you snip an outer cable to length, and the patience you need to open up the hole and remove any friction.. Bottom line:- it isn't much better on first use :D:D will lubricate and try and "run in" tomorrow.

* frame designer decided that the cable needs to run through a welded-on hoop to stabilise/anchor cable but, over the years this takes it's toll on the cable due to handlebars being swivelled on full lock when parking etc resulting in a damaged/kinked outer cable.

5. Nelson, if you’re struggling with the drop bars you can flip the stem over, normally they are + or - 6 degrees, yours is set normally ( as far as I can see from your pic? ) if you flip the stem over it’ll lift the bars up a touch, might make the difference you need?
    Also trimming the front mech on Shimano’s is quite a delicate operation, I have Dura-Ace mechanical groupset on my other bike and even after hours of setting up I can’t get rid of the rub completely, don’t mind though as when it starts to rub it reminds me it’s getting a bit cross-chained and it’s time to hit the big ring :upyeah:

6. Giggity! :D

Seriously though, thanks for the advice. Mine seems to do it more so on the big ring when crossed, so time to hit the little ring.
    I've literally spent hrs on it and watched a zillion UTube vids. "It's simple procedure"...Like fook!
    I'm sure given some riding time I'll do a few more tweaks and adjust to suit.

7. You wait until the cable stretches a little :confused:, you see now why a few hardy souls singlespeed.:)

8. I got soooo pissed off with it on my old MTB I converted to 1 X 8.

• Like Like x 1
  9. All finished for £45.34...:D
    IMG_0476.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. Well impressed, ^ how far is that!?!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Looks like where it was originally made?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Definitely shorts weather today...wish I’d worn some as I boiled!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I’m agreeing with the shorts weather comment, not that you should have worn them...just to be clear:confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Popped out to see the butler.
    4471B42C-FFAA-4E1F-B6DC-5C66B40D41DF.jpeg 376EE204-0707-4899-9C93-72E2CB4277E4.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. He smells like it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. F3D4316F-901E-4346-8C4C-2B2894A731A9.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  17. Lots of mud and wind about, no surprise really.

IMG_20210223_183126.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. That gate and the notice will certainly prevent access to the airside area of the airport.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information