1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Decision. 1000ssie Ds

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Nasher, Nov 3, 2020.

1. As some of you know, a few months ago I purchased a 2003 1000SSie DS.
    It looked in reasonable condition but had some issues, and I brought it cheap with a plan in mind.
    It had been recently MOT’d and the belts changed.

[​IMG]

Since purchase I’ve got it to start more easily by resetting the TPS and fitting a set of Exact-start cables. Actually when purchased it didn’t start at all, but that was just the immobiliser needing to be reset with the Red key.

I took off the rough cheap Carbon exhausts and fitted the standard cans that came with it before I even rode it.

I’ve removed the horrid tacky small arrow shaped indictors and put on later Ducati ones similar in shape to the originals.

I also removed the again horrid and tacky coloured plastic rear undertray and Number Plate mount and fitted replacement standard plastics, reinstating a plate light at the same time and moving the plate out so it no longer touched the rear tyre when the suspension compressed.

I sorted out the clutch, which sounded awful in Neutral at idle, and turned out to have very few friction plates, loads of metal plates, and a below spec stack height.

I also got the warning lights to work in the dashboard by replacing the LEDs that had fallen off the PCB inside.

All this is getting it ready for the ‘big transformation’ over the winter.
    That plan is to fit the set of 900 Superlight bodywork I have hanging around, including the Carbie tank, along with a pair of Ducati Performance Remus Oval high level silencers which I also already have.
    The plan is to make a bike that looks great with the old clothes, but makes the most of the Showa Forks, Ohlins rear shock, lightweight wheels, and that oh such a peach of an engine.

But, I didn’t realise two things.
    Just how nice it would be to ride. I’ve since read in several places what a hidden treasure they are. I’ve really fallen for it in that respect.
    And how rare they are, I’ve not seen another for sale.

The second point is sort of covered, in that nothing I plan to do to it is irreversible, and all the standard parts will be stored wrapped in Bubble wrap in my loft.

I’ve worked out all the seat and fairing brackets etc, plus how to fit the tank, and already made the hangers for the Exhausts.
    This will be the first build I’ve done which is fully reversible.

However, I’m now wondering if I should do the mods to it, even if they are reversible, because it’s quite rare. But I can’t get over the fact that I just don’t like the look of it.

I love riding it, but when it’s parked up it doesn’t do anything for me in the same way an old 900 does.

And then Sev visited with his 749, reminding me how much I loved the quirky 749/999 shape(despite not liking the quirky SSie shape)

I’ve obviously had the odd look on Ebay at 999’s and have realised that the 1000SSie DS is now worth more than I paid for it because it actually works, and is sorted mechanically with just some very minor cosmetic issues.

And the truth is that the value of the bike itself, plus selling separately the considerably valuable very good condition 900SS carbie tank and Ducati Performance Remus Oval high level silencers isn’t a million miles away from the purchase price of a decent-ish 999.

What do ‘we’ think the 1000SS is worth?

So, I’m now having sleepless nights.
    Do I continue with the project to dress the 1000SS in retro clothes, or sell up, add a small amount of cash and try a 999 for a while?

One downside is that I have to have a project on the go, and I’m not sure if a deep clean and tidy up of a 999 over winter is going to be satisfying enough for me compared to the other option.

Help

Nasher.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I can relate to your current dilemma. Only you can decide of course, but the 1000 in stock form is worth good money now and in the future. So, given that whichever you do you won’t lose money, take the route that makes you happiest. If it were me, I would probably keep the 1000 and leave it stock for now, buy a less than perfect 999 quite bullishly now as values dip for winter, and work on that as my main project, then see how I feel about modifying the 1000 when the 999 is how I want it.
    In case you do choose to move the 1000 on, I have arranged for the Wotsit factory to put on an extra shift.
    Jon

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I was about to say I’m looking forward to the transformation

You can always put it back to standard after

I agree they are not the most beautiful

Chop chop what you waiting for :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'm with the 'bird on this. They are so fugly that they deserve new clothes and some love! It sounds like you've got a great plan! Just polishing a 999 would be too easy....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Well....... she is an ugly old bird, (no, not Ducbird, the 1000DS of course!), but there is a certain something about her. If the transformation is truly and easily reversible, then I might be tempted to store all the original parts and go ahead. If it works, brilliant, if it doesn’t, then return to stock and either ride it or offer it to someone who will appreciate it’s “unique” styling.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. I may be alone but like the look of the ssie’s, I’d still be interested to see what it looked like and how you got it there though.

Also agree with Keith, sounds like minor work on a 999 wouldn’t hold your interest for long.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Put some better pipes on it reflash the ECU @nelly done mine ages ago, K&N filter and take the rubber trumpets off and leave it as is, beauty is in the ohhhhh you know but as a reversible build i'll go for that and look forward to the outcome and as you know i am slightly biased :upyeah:.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Thanks all

Sev, I'm really not sure about the 999 bodywork on the 1000SS.
    Making a new bike look like an older one feels entirely appropriate, but making an old bike look like a new one feels like I'm trying to cheat people into thinking it's something it's not.
    I know both are that really, but the second one feels like a bad thing to do and the first one doesn't.
    just my opinion of course.

I unfortunately don't have room for the 1000 and a 999, at the moment so that's not an option.
    I am very aware that I think both the 1000SS and 999 are currently very near the cheapest they will be now, so either are currently a bit of an investment.

What would really make my mind up is if there was such a thing as a project 999 came up for sale, but I'm not that's going to happen.

Nasher

• Like Like x 3
  9. For my pennies worth,just keep it and enjoy the 2021 season & forget what it looks like.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. I never thought these words would come from my lips ever...that fairing looks beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. That is an interesting take, has this ever been done before?, because i can say i've never seen it.

12. Maybe just paint it yellow. There is something about that shape that works best in bright yellow IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I went up to Castle combe last year and there were loads of 900ie's there with different fairings, there was one with a panigale back end and no idea what the rest of was but it looked pretty good, but didn't see a 999 faired one but yes i like your thinking in the Terblanche DNA.:upyeah:

14. Thanks all, Sev that does look very good I have to admit.

I'm going to have to consider my options, but if anyone has or sees a project 999 turn up for sale let me know, as I could possibly stretch financially to both if the 999 was a cheap project, and could always store it elsewhere until the SS is finished.

Just don't tell Lady Nasher.

Nasher.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I admit she does already look a bit better with the higher level Remus DP exhausts and carbon front guard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and was serious, if anyone sees a 999 project for sale let me know.
    Would quite enjoy an engine rebuild on one.

Nasher

#16 Nasher, Nov 5, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  16. #17 WAYNE, Nov 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The whole bike looks ok.. but that is because the paint is black which hides some of the questionable aesthetics.

In fact...if you squint a lot , I would almost say that is gorgeous.

#18 The Royal Maharaja, Nov 5, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Wayne

Strangely, the SS front part of the fairing I'm planning to use is a race part with no headlight aperture, and I'm going to use a single Projector lamp with built in solenoid operated flap for low/High beam.
    I already have it, and it's quite impressive.
    I was going to mount it off to the right had side and high up.

Nasher.

• Like Like x 2
  19. The whole question of mods is something I have questioned recently, I currently own a 999 and a 900ss in SL guise, and I just wouldn't ever consider modding those, but I became curious to build a cafe racer to my own personal tastes.

When I happened on a 900ie for just under 1.5K..it seemed perfect. Within 2 hours of purchase I had doubled the value of what I paid for it (the previous owner was an exuberant, unknowledgeable, unskilled tinkerer - he hilariously included a full factory maintenance manual)

I chose the ie as we can all agree I won't have any guilt in cutting one up... Yes it will have value long term (remember the old Honda CX "the plastic maggot"), but that's not the point, any modded bike is worth less long term.. the modding is to create the personal bond with the machine or to have some fun in the building process. The value in money terms is not in the equation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information