1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Choice

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by PerryL, Sep 6, 2020.

1. As I said in a thread with the wrong title, my choice (when I get my license back and when I get some compensation - or hell freezes over, whichever comes first, although it is a close match!) my choice is Ducati Multistrada 950s, Moto Guzzi V85, and KTM 790.
    upload_2020-9-6_13-26-14.png
    This video from about 19 minutes covers the makes and the Multistrada is at top right.

This "adventure" bike label intrigues me, now. I would not take any of these bikes off-road, with maybe the KTM as the exception. They are just too big and heavy.
    I know the Ridgeway around Wroughton, Swindon quite well. In the Winter, it is used mainly by farmers driving tractors and some 4x4s. It gets rutted to hell with a rutted wheel track that is usually flooded and about a foot deep. You WILL fall off. If you are on your own, faced with a fallen over big bike, you are ducked! At least Ducati don't really claim that the Multistrada can go off road!

Bikes like the old Yam DT250 are ideal. Light and with enough poke - and you can pick them up easily when you drop them - and they are not stuffed with thousands of pounds of electronics that like to be immersed in water! In my opinion, "Adventure" is just a stupid label.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Watched that video the other day.That board gets a bit confusing in the end for us simple minded ones.
    I agree with you when it comes to the name'adventure'.Also for me, they are way to expensive to own and repair if you bin it.

3. Agree that they are expensive, but all bikes are these days. A new 500 enduro ktm is the same price as the basic 790 adventure.

The majority of big adventure bikes are limited more by the rider and the tyres than anything else. If you are reasonably happy
    on the clarts and have dual purpose rubber fitted then the biggest limitation is your own common sense.
    Several years ago I did 10 days in Europe from Santander up to Rotterdam on a 990 adventure with dualsport rubber fitted. I managed days
    in the mountains playing with sportsbikes, long motorway cruises at 120+ with full luggage, and single track dirt climbs in the alps. The
    bike was more than capable for someone who classes himself as a mediocre but confident dirt rider. The big thing with dirt is being sensible, and
    realistically on bigger bikes, you should keep to a buddy rider system. Laying down 200kg+ of bike or getting stuck in mud etc on your own will
    certainly wear you out quickly, and you may never get moving again without assistance. (that's without the injury possibilities offroad).

Check out these girls who decided to go "offroad"adventure riding last year, spent a few months doing dirt training for the first time, bought big bikes and just set at it.
    https://www.facebook.com/TETAdventureGirls/
    One of them is a good friend of mine and joined here a few years ago as she had a multistrada and also a Paul Smart, but left the forum due to several of the inmates not being able to talk to female riders without perving every other sentence.

#3 990Glen, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  4. The good thing that they did was to keep price out of it. Then, it would if got way more complicated!

And they agreed with me and so they must be right!!!

5. They most certainly are, just like 800cc Scramblers for off road trips!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information