1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike For Commuting

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by evoarrow, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Time to change my F800GSA. Was going to get the new F850GSA but problems with supply apparently and I want to change before end of our so called summer. Tempted with 1200gsa but can’t see me using one, don’t want another Ducati. I need something for all seasons.

So what are you using for your daily commute?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Can’t afford a van and a bike. I need both tbh

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. what about one of these :p ducati-muletto.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I use my 1299 tbh. I bought the thing to use after all.

That said I will admit to crying a little whenever I clean it and it immediately rains. And when it snows I cycle.

TBH it depends on your commute. How far, and what roads?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yamaha mt09 or Suzuki gsr750.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 848 Evo. Wet clutch so is just made to be used everyday. Heated seat is perfect for those frosty mornings. Narrow so perfect for filtering. Termis so it’s loud enough to let your colleagues and neighbours know you’ve reach your respective destinations ok.

It’s the only sensible tool for the job...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Honda NCNC7X dct...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. and up for sale soon.....
    DSC00664.JPG

DSC00665.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  9. Peugeot SpeedFight

10. Yamaha Tracer 900...new model about to hit showrooms= good deals on the "old" model.
    Same weight (if not lighter) than the baby BMW and much more power.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Cheers for tesponses.

Anyone ride or have rode the Africa Twon?

12. A Triumph Tiger 800. Well built, good finish quality and more or less indestructible. Known to rack huge mileages. And they handle well and can be good fun. The old stripey tank Tigers are cheap as chips and tough but the finish is nowhere near as good as the later 800s. Neither is the handling - the old uns had pretty soggy suspension. But they'll go on and on.
    I wouldn't buy a new or anywhere near new bike for commuting unless it was long distance at speed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. z1000 here - on it today - owned it 4 years, never missed a beat - weathering way better than any duc, still doesnt need a valve check for another 10k...love it, no plans to change but seriously tempted by an even lighter set of wheels...

Hi @andyt749 - long time no speak....not been in for any tyres as im still going through my mates 2nd hand stash that i bought off of him...only 2 left to go!!

14. An old XT500 thumper. Or a Vespa P200E. These would be my choices. Cheap to fix and easy to repair.

15. Personally I'd go with a middleweight adventure style bike of some sort because I think they make ideal commuters. They're comfortable with fairly decent weather protection. They usually come with hand guards, heated grips and heated seats as standard or at least as factory accessory options. The best ones handle superbly and long travel suspension smooths out on poorly surfaced roads. They tend to be much easier to keep clean than more enclosed roadsters, they're very nimble in traffic, they have good road presence and a commanding riding position and all will have decent luggage options.
    And a good one is still fun at weekends, especially if it has genuine off-road capability.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Ride the bike 5 days a week all weather, approx 60mile a day, mix of country, A and motorway. It’s not a massive journey.

Scooters out, sports bike out, old bike out. I think the triumph is the only similar bike to what I think I want. KTM are to bloody expensive.

Hearing good reports on the yam MT bikes

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  17. Yam TDM, they go on forever. Don't contemplate a single thumper if you are doing regular motorway miles.

Listen for the pegs scraping.

#18 SlowHand, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. My personal recommendations would be Yamaha Tracer 09/07 or the Versys 650.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information