1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Project For Dummies

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by MushHaze, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Hey folks,

I have a hankering to buy an old bucket of shite and start doing a restoration project. I would just like to get people opinions/experience around a restoration project. I would like to have a bash at doing some sort of a 1990's sportsbike. So I'd like yere thoughts or advice on where to start.

I'd like to do something that is cheap given its first time attempting this. So thinkin along the lines of, in order of preference; ZXR750L, 96-03 ZX7R, 90's VFR/CBR400, 93 Blade. If I could find an 900ss in budget it would certainly be considered.

Personally I am not great with the spanners so want to do this as a learning experience and I suppose set an example for the young lad and get him looking into engines at a young age! Here are my main considerations:
    Good: Big shed and a nice set of tools!, brothers very useful with fabrication/tooling/welding, few lads in locality that are good with old bikes and access to spares. Eagerness to learn!
    Bad : Time (young family), lack of experience, not sure about what to go for.

So:
    Budget: Should I pick a number and say half to buy bike and half for spares/work such as paint repairs?
    Bike: Is a 90's sportsbike a bad choice, fairings and parts could be bad idea? Should I look at an older naked bike for example? What makes a good choice? Should I buy a ratty bike that is running or a clean bike that is dead!?
    Other: Do I need a lift/winch in shed? is there good guidance around strip downs and ordering parts for reassembly?

I do not plan to sell on, it will be a keeper. And if it takes years to do I don't care, thats fine.

All thoughts and rambling experiences with be much appreciated.

2. If its a keeper, then a 92/93 blade would be the classic pick of bunch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Try and buy something that's complete,check out pts availability on the model you pick before you buy, naked bikes have to be clean/right as you can see everything,(faired bikes can hide poor finish/bodges)
    What's your budget?
    Old hospital beds with a table bed fitted make a good work station and can be cheap!
    Smaller cc bikes can be fun as well! 2strokes great,light and fun but getting expensive now as the masses catch on!

Cbr600 fm(91 model) cheap and bullet proof,most had them,wrecked them, and loved them,future classic? Aprilla rs125! Classic!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Not done much myself but from what I have done i'd like to buy a complete bike unless you have another to look at. Even if stripping right down it's nice to know what went where and put in a separate bag and it's amazing what the little bits you don't think about cost.

Also, find something with LOTS of bits on eBay. Makes life a lot cheaper.

Loads of 750 SRAD bits out there.

Personally, i'd go 748.

@philoldsmobile would be good for you to chat with.

• Like Like x 3
  5. My mate just did his first. An old cb500. Not because he wants it but so he can learn the skills he needs, and even if he can't sort it out it stands him a few hundred quid.

Maybe start with an old zxr or srad as you can pick them up cheap, cut your teeth then find the big project after :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. To gain experience, you might go for something less complex engine-wise i.e. less than 4 cylinders. A big single may be a good way to cut your restoration 'teeth'.

Is it specifically a restoration project you want, rather than a build? A restoration can often be much more expensive as you will be vying for parts with others wanting to maintain their bikes as standard, building a special gives you more freedom because it will be your vision and parts can be trawled in from other, perhaps less highly valued bikes

Another way to approach this is by deciding what bike you'd like to end up with. If it is a big multi, then that's what to look for, but if you're just as happy with a big twin, or a big single, a 500 - 700cc single would make a great race rep, for example

• Like Like x 2
  7. great stuff...I reckon if it was a cb500 I'd lose interest before I'd even start! I hadnt thought about a build as opposed to a restore. interesting. 748 is a good shout as look nice beside my 749! Keep the suggestions coming.

I wonder with a build though would I need a bit of a brain to get things together where as a restore of a "full" bike might be a stripdown, learn, fix, reassemble...

In no rush here guys so keep the ideas and opinions coming. Soemthing to think about while feasting at xmas!

8. Question regarding budget. I would say 2K ish. There was an non running more or less complete zx7r on one of the irish bike forums for 700 quid. I don't want nut and bolt concours jobbie obviously given my lack of expertise. Something to strip down, fettle chassis, engine, gear and stick back together to look as original as possible. Is that budget just going to mean I buy a total turd or is it realistic for something like this?

My bro had the 93 ZXR which holds a place in my heart. I previously owned a zx7 and a CBR4 both of which were great bikes - hence my choices above.

9. My mate simply:
    Stripped everything to the frame
    Cleaned all up (frame, forks, exhausts etc)
    Decided what needed painting
    Painted frame
    Painted exhausts
    Painted engine
    Painted tank
    Split and rebuilt calipers
    Built a new loom
    Service on the engine (check clearances, oil, filter)
    Generally polished what he could

Came from the barn, 8 weekends in the shed and MOTd and looking like new having spent about £250 (consumables, wire, rattle cans, brake calliper for rear)

Now he's done that he's looking for something to cafe racer as he can build a loom, understands basic electrics and feels confident about refreshing paint and stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  10. I'm not sure on the cafe racer thing,a lot of good bikes get destroyed for a fad IMO!

11. ive got a nice k2 gsxr 1000 that would be perfect for a project. :upyeah:

12. How many bikes do you have?

13. lots....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Is changing a bike from standard to Cafe Racer, or any other style of bike, 'destroying' it?

#14 Borgo Panigale, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. @Cream_Revenge i have got a few mate one day il do a thread on them but i cant remember the last time they were all under the same roof together. Be nice to do before some get sold off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. well, once the trumpet is done and sold and the enduro gone, may be a deal in the offing for that 1198.... alas the SPS out of range for me, but will be snapped up no problem :)

17. We're keep in touch Paul. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  18. What a lovely problem to have :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Had one of those from new. Stonking engine, lovely noises, handles well. Lots of them got mutilated with dodgy lights and tails and what not. A nice original one would be great...

But not sure your bikes need much doing to them? Maybe a detail?

20. go air cooled and carby id say. An ss or a monster. Monsters can be had pretty cheaply and less busy work to find or fix.
    if you go duke you end up with a nice duke, can't go wrong!
    and your be on the right forum!
    ( although other bikes are tolerated and there is plenty of advice and help to be had here)
    good luck with the search mate.
    just a thought ( after telling you to go duke) what about a Clasic motorX? I picked up a complete, running 81 Rm 250 for £150 a few years ago. It's a complete pig but something like that would be easy (ish) and may have some future value.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information