1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Bike Protection For Touring...

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by pcn1, Feb 22, 2021.

1. I'm looking for advice off how I should protect the bike from accidental damage from a slow speed, or stationary drop.
    As I've mentioned in a previous post, I'm new to touring, and want to reach out into Europe over the next few years. I have European recovery in my insurance for worst case, i.e. a higher speed spill causing broken engine case etc, but that means end of holiday.
    If having some basic items on the bike allows protection from minor mishaps, allowing the holiday to continue without delay, then that's the way to go ?
    Obviously there will be Ducati dealers in Europe for running problems and parts if that solves the problem, but again its wasted time.

To me hand guard's to protect the levers etc seems logical, the Evotech guard set for the radiator's against a stone punctures (rare I suspect but it does happen?).
    Now crash bungs, engine guards, what's the opinion on these items ? I think they don't look nice, but maybe just bolt them on for the tour and take them off when home.
    Also if I drop the bike, the luggage cases are going to take a snack, but I don't think there's anything I can do about that ?

Any thoughts and suggestions from those that have toured appreciated. (should I carry spare gear lever ?)

Thanks

2. I have an 18 plate 1260 with 30K on the clock and several UK and European trips (those were the days!). I have Radiator guards for the oil cooler and main radiator are a good idea (Evotech are good).
    Barkbusters are best (IMO) for protecting the levers and the brake / clutch reservoirs in case of low speed
    drops, if they are protected then you can ride the bike to a garage if needed. Also useful for putting RAM mount on the BB bars for camera etc as needed.
    I have a Rizoma water pump guard fitted as well (ditched the OEM plastic guard on day one)!
    I don't have crash bars or bungs as they can cause more damage than they save in anything but a low speed spill.
    My 1260 has gone down twice - both times in car parks at almost zero speed - and the bark busters did their job as well as the rear footrest brackets, never had any damage to brake or gear levers. I did drop a loaded 1200DVT in Germany once, someone moved the ground away :), that had the panniers and top box on it, it took two of us to get it upright and the panniers were OK just a few light scratches that polished out and no other damage.

3. I swapped from bungs to OEM crash bars which prevented damage to the plastics when I managed to pull the bike on top of me whilst on the side stand. The bike was fully loaded and the one pannier took a scrape but no other damage. Your levers are notched so just the ball end snaps off. If you have big hands, the lever is still useable but if you have small hands, carry spare levers. I also snapped the wing mirror, absolutely nothing could be done about that which was a shitter, just leaving for 10 days in northern Spain and Portugal and I rogered the left hand mirror o_O Andy

4. You can get flip up clutch and brake levers which would help and others said Bark Busters (or similar), radiator an may oil cooler guards and you should be fine. Anything major you would need to get recovered but those should get you home after a low speed drop.

The panniers will take a fair bit of the bikes weight if you tip off (I know from experience), otherwise Zip ties, gaffa tape and some araldite rapid should fix most things!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. If you are doing European trips, then why worry? Ducati have dealers all over Europe and they can help. Just make sure you take of guide list of dealerships in whatever countries that you do.

My tip is to not think too much. Years and years ago (1981?) I rogered my rear tyre on a CX500 (I know!) in Spain. I had reached he hotel and was going to go for a walk and get something to eat. Outside the hotel, I noticed my flat tyre. I borrowed enough tools from the BMW car owner guy parked next to me and got a taxi into the nearest town with the taxi driver taking me to a bike dealer. Being Spain, although it was about 9pm, they were still open and fitted a new tyre to my wheel. The taxi driver had waited and we were taken back to the hotel in time for dinner as the restaurant was still open. Next day, I refitted the wheel and no worries for the rest of the trip!

Over-thinking and over-planning can make life too much of a chore!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Cable ties and gaffer tape, always take it, never use it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Whereas I always take it , and often use it!

This was when the bike tipped over and broke the screen on a stone wall, I borrowed a drill and used cable ties and gaffa tape it made it all the way back from Corsica

5B1ACEAA-DC4F-4B17-AD41-FBDE03283086.jpeg

#7 Twin4me, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. As others have said don't over think everything that could happen.

Gaffer tape, cable ties are great to have. Don't forget a puncture repair kit, and know how to use it.

On the bike radiator guards and lever guards are useful but not necessary. Adding other stuff depends on how you feel about the look. Remember that riding in Europe is really no different to the UK.

One thing I always forget is to change tyres before I go. Having replaced rear tyres in Switzerland and Austria before I can confirm it is cheaper to replace a part worn tyre before you go.

Also don't crash in France on a Saturday as most bike garages are shut till Tuesday as I found out a few years back on the first day of a trip and broke the bars on my Fireblade. Got it fixed by the Wednesday and caught up with the rest of the group in Spain for the rest of the holiday.

Enjoy the touring and relax.

9. What do you do to protect yourself from minor spills in the UK? Do exactly the same in Europe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Ride on the left

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. I tour regularly (or did), I take cable ties and gaffe tape, sorts out most problems... however I had a few offs over the years and now fit Evotech flip up levers (it’s a pain when they snap, rad guards (see a few holed rads on trips), water pump cover and sliders... I’ve always managed to continue my tour. I’m getting Evotech handlebar protectors just because I think they look good

12. Lots of good tips and idea's !

Thanks Guy's :upyeah:

13. Perhaps I should carry all this stuff around when I visit the UK on my bike too.

14. I bought and fitted some R&G crash bungs but changed over to engine bars without even taking the bike outside (I really must get around to selling those on) on my 1200 DVT as I preferred the look of the bars over the bungs. I did the same with R&G bar ends too. I fitted the Evotech lever protectors as I prefer the look more than barkbusters, but both do the same job and protect the eggshell handguards as well as the levers.
    If you have those guards fitted, you dont need fold up levers as they are pretty much certain not to be damaged in a low speed fall over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. I think protection on the bike is valid wherever you are riding. I took the same bits and pieces when I visited Cumbria last year. It’s about getting you home from wherever you are. (I even always have a few cable ties under the seat).

in the past I helped a fellow rider dismantle half his bike and repair a leaking hose with the tools I carry when we were in the Alps and it was good enough to let him enjoy the rest of his trip and get home.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. I always used to carry (whenever I was riding anywhere) a couple of plastic carrier bags. Whenever it rained, I'd put one bag over each boot. It makes getting a set of rainproofs on much easier. Then you simply take the bags off and store them for next time.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. As others have said, don’t worry too much and enjoy the trip.

With the aid of a workshop manual on an Ipad you can do almost anything ....

upload_2021-2-23_16-18-27.png

Putting it back together was a piece of cake :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Goodness sake HO, have you ever ridden that bike? It looks absolutely flawless. You haven't had Coman cleaning it for you have you, by chance!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. It was actually a fun day and really good to get to fix it for Jules, and even better when it started up again!

The workshop manual made all the difference, those throttle bodies were a right b*stard.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. It started up just fine the next morning but 2 miles from the hotel the dash lit up like a Christmas Tree !

Only one thing for it - 'The Strawberry Blonde Essex Boy' solution was engaged - remove the main fuse, count to 50 and put it back in ! Restart, problem solved :joy:

Happy days.

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information