1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Selling - Test Rides

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by BIG M, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Im currently selling my 749S (insert shameless plug- its in the sale section and on eBay). All my bikes are well looked after and maintained and I would never sell anything I wasn't happy with myself. I'm more than happy for any sort of professional inspection to be carried out but I've always had a no test ride policy, even if the prospective buyer gives me the money first and has insurance. This is because I've witnessed two situations in the past where it's all gone horribly wrong.

First instance was where my neighbour told a buyer who'd arrived on foot via the bus station he couldn't test ride the bike because it wasn't insured. We have a long private lane which leads to the main road and when he asked if it was ok just to take it to the end of the lane and back my neighbour agreed. I was in my garden at the time and jokingly said 'You'll never see that again!' as he was pulling away. We were both gobsmacked when he got to the end of the lane pulled onto the road and nailed it. My neighbour did indeed never see it again! Total loss! The tragedy of it was the money was for a deposit on house.

Secondly was a friend who let a buyer take his bike out after the full amount was handed over as security and an insurance document was produced. The buyer crashed the bike into a parked car and claimed the reason for the accident was down to a defect with the bike. He claimed his money back and tried to claim compensation for personal injuries from my friend. Luckily a witness came forward and said he lost control of the bike due excessive speed. But again total loss as the riders insurance turned out to be third party only and not worth the paper it was written on and his own insurance didn't want to know.

It's a difficult situation. When you sell a car it's reasonably straightforward and as safe as it's going to get as you're in the car with them but a bike is very different. I will probably stick with my policy and refuse test rides even if it means loosing a sale. Just wondered what everyone else does when selling?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I don't let em test ride, I don't care how fecking insured they are, if they genuinely want the bike, they'll buy it, and complain later of any issues. Stick to ya guns and don't let it out of your sight dude.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I wouldn't allow test rides, and in fairness I've never been asked for one by a genuine buyer.

If this is going to cause you and potential buyers a headache then have you considered putting the bike in with a dealer? I'm looking at reducing my number of bikes and my local Ducati dealer is going to have them in the showroom. This way I don't have all the worries (people coming to house etc.), buyer gets some aircover too when buying through a dealer. It's worth thinking about.

4. This is the situation I'm in. I'm reducing numbers. I've got a 1098S to sell after the 749S and I'm not looking forward to it one bit. Never thought about putting them in at a dealers, didn't think they would want to do things like that. Thanks for the advice I'll look into that. :upyeah:

5. Just a thought... If a bike is insured by its owner to be ridden by its owner (or other named rider(s)) and the owner allows a test ride to a rider not named, and that rider crashes causing injury (including damage to property) to a 3rd part to that insurance, your insurer, is obliged to compensate the third party in that event.

Since the rider is unnamed and riding the bike without the permission of the insurer, the owner of the Bike will be in breach of its contract for insurance. As a result, you will be liable for such breach and any costs incurred by the insurer in compensating any third party in the event of an incident.

As a general rule, it has to be a no test ride policy for me at least under any circumstance.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I would say that all you can do is request a massive deposit and hold on to the driving licence, but ultimately if they aren't insured and they crash it, you are still going to end up carrying the baby! I hate selling stuff privately, not enough to deal with those we buy any bike clowns... but enough

7. Will PM you.

8. Just sold mine without a test ride.

9. Big M............Your house your rules end of debate:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Only given a test ride when accompanying them on a couple of occasions, otherwise if they don't trust their judgement and me then find another buyer.

11. I'd be finding another buyer... Nothing against you personally, I just haven't a clue who you are so therefore you're a potential bike thief. It's horrible isn't it? I'd love to say innocent until proven guilty but you've lost your bike by that point. No offence meant. :kissing_heart:

12. After reading this no one will ever get a test ride on any bike of mine until they have paid in full, signed the reciept which states they have full insurance.. Then I would buy the bike back if they didnt like it after a ride up my road - like a 2mins ride.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  13. As far as Im concerned, you can test ride it when you've bought it and signed the 'as seen' invoice.

14. This ^^^

Even if it loses me the sale... No test rides

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. I have a simple solution - don’t sell any bike, keep em all!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ha! Yes, that's the trouble, I've been telling myself that for years and ended up with the problem, albeit a nice one of having too many bikes and not enough room!:)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information