1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Storage.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by comfysofa, Mar 9, 2019.

1. As above. Im facing a bit of a storage problem and looking for suggestions....got a single garage which is full, of bikes (4)...one id really like to get rid of, not cos i need the money but because of the space. My dads 40 odd year old 400/4 is rotting in my mates storage container (went to look at it last week) so i need to get it back to my house (into the garage to strip and sort it out). Ive got a pristine ktm 525 supermoto which as i say id love to sell (for the space) but when it comes to supermoto's i put it on ebay a few years back and got stupid offers of 1500 quid etc etc (its a 5k bike). Im not expecting 5k - just what they were going for...anyway, out the back of my garage ive got a steep set of concrete stairs which i reckon with a couple of spare sets of hands get it down the stairs and on to my patio...so, it would be outside...ive seen those vacuum storage bags...do they work?? - the idea would be to store it during the winter months and then get it out, use it now and again etc etc...i just want to be sure that if i store it out the back of the house (there is a little bit of cover from the balcony above) whatever i store it in is up to the job..

Love to hear the options.

2. How much do you want to spend ? You have the secure metal shed option costing £1500 + down to the tent style option for £100s. Halfway house (no pun intended) would be a Keter shed from Costco. Andy

3. Well, since ive posted im putting some thought into it....we live on a hill so from the front the house looks like a normal 40's semi but from the rear it has 4 storeys (Basement and loft conversion) so, at the back of the garage there's steep stairs (the only real problem although as i say i reckon a bike could be manhandled up and down if need be) then a 30ft x 15ft patio, then a 100ft garden slopes paritally then flat. Theres no rear access, thick undergrowth and then common land so tealeafs shouldnt be an issue....im pretty handy (built a custom sized shed last year) thats fucking solid, with power...so im fast approaching the point where i think im going to build something to house the bike....just not sure what size yet...

4. It’ll never be big enough :upyeah: Andy

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Have you thought about moving? (Genuine question).

6. No - not on the cards and i dont want to....house has 6 bedrooms!, love the position, love the road and the neighbours, love where we live.

Looks like its turning into a full blown build...i dont care as i get some more storage space...

Short term ill probably get the vacuum bag and put another cover over the top of it initially just to give me more space in the garage so i can make a start on my dads bike...

#6 comfysofa, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  7. Maybe a silly idea, but can you build a large strong shelf and put the SuperMoto on that and pit the Aprillia underneath, like in museums, etc? Always thought was a lot of wasted space above bikes.

8. Use wood.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Heh- ill go and take a pic....hang on...

10. It's pretty packed in there...
    20190309_123213.jpg

11. Move all from the left of the picture - put a steel beam in - hoist two up with electric hoists (+2 bikes, same room) you need to re design your storage on the right side too, all above bike height :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Everything in the cupboards has to go somewhere...above the joist line is full up too...right above out of shot are my oem parts and tyres that im going through.....having said that im out there this afternoon - there is stuff that can go to the dump...!

13. The other thing is that if i were to undertake a redesign of the garage...ive got no where to store it all while im doing it...im more than happy with the physical work...think itll need some planning...if i/she gets the room down the bottom of the garden - it should be a decent size then i can store one, maybe 2 down there...

14. Build in the back garden for your storage other than bikes - maybe big enough for a project build area too as you only need to man handle it out of the garden when done...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yeah - ive done that once already! - right outside the window at the back just below (as were on a slope) is the 8x3 shed we built last year (its really tall as were on a slope) - we put all the garden stuff in there that was in the garage...!

16. As mentioned above by Andy - it won't be big enough :worried:

17. Now were talking about it (me and the other half) the room could be 15ft x15ft....she gets the lions share of the storage but, as long as i can store a bike or 2 in there im happy...or, some of my shit from the garage...

18. Just sell the KTM is you are not using it(or any other bike that you think won't become a "future classic")...Set a realistic price with a reserve then if needed keep it on ebay for weeks, months, also add to UK KTM Forum, facebook group. By the time you add the cost of building a new shed and the depreciation of the bike you might as well sell it...cannot see that becoming a classic.
    There is only one for sale on ebay..£3900.

19. I am not trying to be rude... but throw away all the crap and stuff you keep just incase in the house and garage..

If house has 4 stories and 6 bedrooms... everything except the bikes can probably go in 1 or the house rooms.....?.. unless you have a large family...

Then as suggested... build a 2 tier storage system as the garage is high enough..

Then half your garage is free.. and still has all 4 bikes in there..

20. Im not keeping it because i might think its going to be a classic but because the prices offered were way under what its worth, i dont need the cash, it is a fun bike. The KTM forum...thats the worst place i found to put it - i literally got a barrage of abuse at the time about the price being too high (at the time i thought 3.8k was reasonable) as it was freshly built, so i never bothered after that...some lad contacted me last week and said "want to sell your 525" and synically i replied "yeah, but how serious are you..." to which he replied "serious" and then never replied back...id take 3 now for it (just sailed through the MOT) with no issues. But then, i totally accept that supermoto's arent everyones cup of tea..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information