1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Washing Product

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Brakes508, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Hi Folks,

Having read the forum the general consensus seems that Meguiars stage 1,2 and 3 are good for the polishing side but what about the washing side?

Obviously loads of products but what would you say yields the best washing shampoo results before polishing? Also what about a degreaser for stubborn engine parts and product for cleaning wheels?.

Will be needing to dig my Mutley out for a good clean soon after the winter months!!

Thanks in advance!

2. I use Meguiars gold class shampo on everything. It smells great too.

[​IMG]

I found Muc-Off chain cleaner to be an excellent degreaser almost by accident.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks Robarano, what about for cleaning the wheels up?

4. My washing routine:

1= Clean chain using paraffin before anything else using toothbrush.
    2= Totally wet bike then spray with diluted Sdoc100 mixture (Spear & Jackson 2LPAPS Pressure Sprayer 2LTR) left for 10-15minutes. You can agitate thick dirty area's where you think it needs it, such as wheels with brush. Simply rinse or jet wash Sdoc100 off!
    3= kärcher (HDS-8) hot-water pressure wash bike down avoiding wheel bearings zone.
    4= Then meguiars gold class shampoo diluted-mixture for 2nd slow hand wash to finish off cleaning.
    5= Bike blown dry using a brühl bd4280 cold/hot air dryer or with chamois leather but this doesn't remove hidden water residues. Showing themselves when you get upto speed riding along.
    6= Lube chain using würth dry chain lube (Grease-Ninja tool is a must buy gadget) & spray locking mechanisms with smidgen.
    7= Finally ACF50 (warm liquid before spraying) all metal zones avoiding brakes & brake-discs. If it goes on discs; use brake-cleaner & wipe down surface. Best results using a clarke TG2 professional touch up gun & air-compressor scenario for fine-mist application! I use GT85 treatment on control buttons to cover water ingress issues.
    8= Then wipe off over spray on plastics/paint surfaces & apply carnauba R222 wax. Allow to dry then buff off using microfiber towel.
    9= Check brakes work before riding off & again after a short distance.
    10= Save for one or more Abba-stands skylift; ultimate bike cleaning tool/display stand.

ps: Sorry I keep modifying this post!

#4 GunZenBomZ, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  5. I use that gold class, seems pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I used gold class on my bike
    Wheels I cleaned with WD40 on a rag
    Degreaser can't remember it was in a red bottle
    Polished with caranuba wax

image.jpeg image.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  7. It was you Ducbird who brought me over from other shampoo's products! I buy it in bulk now]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Best Shampoo on Market: Bilt Hamber Autowash
    Auto-wash is a new technology, highly powerful, environmentally friendly vehicle shampoo, formulated to allow you to effortlessly and effectively clean your paintwork before waxing.
    Auto-wash is anti-corrosive to bare steel too.
    Auto-wash is very highly-concentrated, meaning that much less solution is needed to add to the water ( use ONLY 5ml per 10 litres of water )
    Auto-wash uses powerful surfactants to create a high foam level. This simply means that particulate matter is lifted away from the paint, where it can be safely removed with reduced risk of scratching or damage to your vehicles paintwork.
    Auto-wash is quite simply the best vehicle shampoo out there.....

Best Degreaser and APC : Bilt Hamber Surfex HD
    Multi Purpose Cleaner and Degreaser (APC )
    Surfex HD provides performance levels that match and even exceed solvent systems, while meeting the latest standards of biodegradability.
    Surfex HD attacks all oil and grease based soiling, but unlike solvent based cleaners will additionally and effortlessly clean organic, or water deposited grime.
    Surfex HD can be adjusted in strength to suit the level of soil, remaining active at levels of just 1 part to 200 in water for light work, or used neat for extreme duty work.
    It can be used on paint, alloy wheels, tyres, fabric, and most surfaces. Spot tests are always advisable.

hope you find the above useful...

• Like Like x 1
  9. So have you used the products your espousing Rob or just adding legalized advertising lying into the thread for lulls?

Thought I'd check out a site I use for cleaning orders (ultimate-finish) & customers rate this bilt-hamber stuff well it seems. Might have to try a bottle although the linked pdf didn't stipulate mixture ratio.

#9 GunZenBomZ, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  10. I'm a Master Detailer....use both products extensively....on both Bikes and cars...so can vouch for their effectiveness.

If the OP is after a shampoo to enchance gloss levels in one solution then Gyeon Bathe + produces a fantastic gloss and hydrophobic properties.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. For ultimate protection use G Techniq EXOv3....this ceramic coating is beyond words....paintwork has and MUST be prepped correctly before application so a full decontamination of paint followed by Spies Hecker Panel Wipe to remove ALL residues and effectively render the paintwork 100% contaminant free....then apply EXOv3.

• Like Like x 1
  12. What I say regarding products is 100% truthful...I would never be dishonest in any statement regarding detailing and or products...just so ya know ( FYI try 100ml of Surfex to 900ml of distilled water.....use a ' foaming head ' on bottle and a detailing brush to agitate solution )....

13. Gtechniq have some fab products
    I have g1 on my windscreen
    I would love to ceramic coat my paint work not quite confident enough too

14. Well I've added a thanks to one of your posts. It's just me confusing another Rob who's not particularly helpful on threads. So I apologize & looking forward to you sharing more incite or even doing a thread for us mere mortals to follow along with. Love a good cleaning thread with images & high quality advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Can we compare rain bubbles :Shy:

16. Thanks for your post.....and apology humbly accepted with gratitude...would love to give advice on detailing... ( but i'd be giving away trade secrets! lol )....the most important is to have 3 buckets...two for washing bodywork of bike and one for wheels only...Grit guards and Cyclones in each....this will trap all debris and prevent from inflicting micro marring / swirls in paintwork ( NEVER USE A SPONGE )...and never ever cross contaminate the wheel bucket with your wash medium bucket....

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Swissol (now called swissvax) to wax

Diluted Virosol to clean wheels

Johnsons baby shampoo for the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. whatever you do don't try doing it yourself.....prep is the key and the knowledge on how to apply...if you get it wrong the only way to remove a ceramic coating ( 9H hardness ) is to compound or wet sand and trust me you don't want to be doing that.....make me some nice black coffee and i'll do it for ya hun!

• Love You Love You x 1

19. Bless you .... I can do black coffee :)

20. and cake??? lol.....paintwork ideally needs to be as perfect as possible BEFORE you ceramic coat....essentially you are trapping anything underneath, so if there are swirls etc these need to be machine polished out...this will give you an outstanding looking finished product....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information