1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biking In New York City

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Rob P, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Hi,
    I'm flying into Washington in a couple of weeks with 5 mates to rent bikes for a two week tour that may well bring us back close to New York and we've been debating whether it's possible or wise to try riding into & out of the city in a day and seeing some of the classic sights.
    For a bunch of guys who live in a rural area of the UK this has the potential to be somewhere between a worst nightmare (based on YouTube videos) or an awesome experience.
    Any suggestions & advice would be gratefully received.
    Rob

2. Stay up & go through the city during the early hours before the morning traffic? Set out stopping points for if you get split up & then get the hell outta dodge.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I say go for it! I hired a car and drove around NY, it's basically straight roads E to W & N to S, but watch out for the traffic lights, they're high up and change instantly. It is definitely worth having pre-planned RV's though as there is a good chance you'll get separated, but it'll be a great experience that'll look back on and laugh at. :laughing: Good luck. :upyeah:

4. I've driven in New York, and from what I have seen traffic is no worse than Central London, Paris, or Rome and the layout is clearer. On the other hand if you dislike or can't cope with inner city traffic conditions, NY has a very good underground ("Subway") system.

5. i was in new york in march, its mental traffic, so many cars and they dont give a f'ck about anything. just be carefull.

6. Thanks, I think it's got to be done.. sounds like it might be a 5 am start though!

• Like Like x 1
  7. if your there for breakfast find the 'new york luncheonette' 50th street off lexington ave, breakfast is truely amazing!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information