1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit Of Advice-all Weather Commuters

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Symon Moore, Dec 20, 2019.

1. I’ve long hankered after the SP Hypermotard as a second bike. I can’t realistically use the 1098 for commuting as even though the new job is basically going to be a 70 mile round trip on A roads every day, it’s just no fun in the wet.
    I’ve still got the technical issue of how to get a second bike past the Missus to work out but I can see a possible window in a few months time. However, is the Hypermotard a suitable bike for this as I’ve never really had anything apart from sports bikes before?

2. I’d recommend an 1100 scrambler or a monster for a job like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The handlebars are a bit wide for nipping between traffic.

If you are going to use a bike in all weathers, buy something you aren't bothered about ruining. No matter how you look after a bike used in the wet, it'll get shabby.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Ive not ridden a HM but I had an MV Rivale for a bit while my bike was in having warranty work done and it was a absolute scream to ride when you were going for it on twisty B roads but within 10mins on any A road/ dual carriageway stretch and it became tiresome, that and the 60 mile tank range was a pita!. The Stradale was much better, all the feel of the Rivale but better comfort and tank range.

If your set on a motard style then maybe a used Hyperstrada would be a better option? I don't think they sold well so you might pick up a bargain? I know the Stradale didn't, they were £11.5k new and they didn't sell well and when MV got into financial trouble (again) they were flogging the unsold stock off to dealers cheap, they were shifting them for £9k new. I bought an ex-demo cheap but I'd have been p!ssed if I'd paid £11.5k and a year later dealers were selling them for £9K!
    Besides that, a greatly underrated bike imo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have a Street Triple 765 RS as my everyday, do everything bike.
    Might be worth a look as with the new model just arrived, used ones (2017 - 2019) are reasonable value.

6. Does the commuter bike have to be a Ducati ?
    .... probably a stupid question .... :)

I wouldn't want to do the daily commute on a sports bike , first because it's not really going to be a fun ride ( compared to leisure use ) and second , because it's kind of harsh on the bike if it's going to be all-weather ,
    all year round .

I'd also be concerned about having an expensive bike parked up in the same place , all day every day , while I was tied up with work .

.... just a personal opinion ....:)

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Some great points here fellas, cheers & I’d genuinely not considered things like the wide handlebar issue before.
    So the basic scenario is this:
    1. First and foremost I am a bike tart. Above every other practical issue it has to look good which for me The SP HM really does. This rules out a Hyperstrada and certainly a Multi.
    2. Job change in January means that I finally will be able to afford to replace the wife’s car first which may give me a little bit of leverage later on in the year. It’s still a big ask but there is at least a possibility now.
    3. hadn’t planned to use the bike every day for the commute but would like the option of being able to use it so really it would just be a case of getting caught in the rain rather than having to ride it on a wet day instead of taking the car.
    4. Security and parking is absolutely no problem at the new place.
    5. Does it have to be a Ducati? Hmmmm, dunno, yes I think so but I maybe could be swayed.

Lots to think about!

• Like Like x 1
  8. I found the Hyper 1100 to be great for riding occasionally into london, except for the wide bars/mirrors

steve

9. I used my hyper 1100 as a commute for 3 years all year round, replaced silly fold out mirrors for mastey cyl clamp mounted foldable mirrors (£12 ebay), bar width was was fine for filtering. A motard certainly give good visibility & control in traffic. Needs Acf50ing all over & stainless fasteners for winter riding. I only stopped using as a commute due to adding too many miles, now at 54k & this is a keeper so only do 5k instead of 12k a year. Using a Honda Nc for bad weather otherwise the hyp is still my preferred commuter...

• Like Like x 1
  10. If it's going to be not an everyday commuter as you mention but just when the weather allows, then the hyper should be fine

The thing to watch out for is these really aren't sought as daily commuter bikes and their market is narrow, so bikes with above average mileage may struggle on resale or get to the point in mileage where you think awww fck it, I may as well keep it.

That's the common sense part over with, but given very few of us use common sense when it comes to bikes :D if it floats your boat and you have an itch to scratch....

11. ^^^ yes agree - not an every-day commuting tool. If you're used to a sports bike get a Hyper as it's a sports bike with high bars; it's defo not a compromise! Oh, yes, and an absolute hoot to ride. Get the low-speed fuelling sorted tho' if you get one with ride-by-wire throttle...

12. Or get a V4 tuono ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Say what? Low speed refuelling? Whatcha talkin ‘bout Willis?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  14. Face palm? Oh arse, assume I’ve said something dumb then :confused:

15. possibly, you said something funny, just wasn't sure if you meant to or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  16. Having commuted in all weathers for 10+ years, weather protection is my number one priority for anything over 15 miles. It just gets tedious, otherwise. R1200RT was the best bike I've ever used for commuting by a long, long way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. was gunna chip in something similar.. i use my lil 620 monster for winter commuting because it was cheap, its reliable, is so easy to ride and has great mirrors (although they are ugly!) but a faired bike is sooo much better for wind and rain resistance and even if it dont look like ya hands have better wind protection on the likes of a ss or 748 for example, they definitely do.
    i was out for a winter blast a few years back, me on my 748 and my mate on his monster. after about an hour we swapped bikes. within 2-3 mins on the monster my hands were freezing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. If we apply the famous Occam's Razor to your "problem" ,
    it appears to boil down to this :-

a] a wife issue
    and not
    b] a financial or affordability situation , nor
    c] a question of a "sensible" bike choice for the all-weather daily commute

I'm truly not sure if I envy you or feel sorry for you ....
    .... I'd really have to think about that for a while ... :)

PS - your wife doesn't know that you're on this forum does she ?

:)

19. You inserted your own “re” in front of fuelling

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I did, but I still don’t get the original comment about low speed fuelling though?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information