1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Bleeding Multistrada Abs Rear Brake

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by AC2, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Hi folks,

I am new owner of 2103 Multistrada 1200s and love the sense of ownership and the enjoyment of riding the motorcycle. Now it's time for a service and one of the most desperate tasks is bleeding the rear brake. I am familiar with the process of bleeding motorcycle brake but I never do it on a motorcycle has an ABS brakes. I researched the forum and various other internet resources; and wanted to learn more about the 3 steps ABS bleeding process.

Is it:

1. complete the brake bleeding as normal (in this case, make sure the brake caliper hanged higher than the ABS unit)

2. Ride the bike, try to brake hard on the rear and activate the ABS

3. repeat the bleeding process

Thanks in advance.

2. There’s a thread on the Ducati.ms forum where folks give their opinions about this. I pasted there what Bosch told me. I think the thread’s title has “crappy rear brake” in it. My summary opinion is use SRF fluid, use a vacuum bleeder, follow the canyon chasers multi brake video on YouTube. For the ABS Bosch said turning it on and off cycled the pump. Bleed the entire system. Some think this system is linked (some don’t). My 2014 works

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Time consuming but it will defo give you a good reat brake. Use motul 660 to keep it that way

TB

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Do do you need to cycle the pump during or after the bleed process? Interested as I bled my front system and whilst it feels great (especially with ebc pads) the abs doesn't kick in and also the hill start function doesn't work. Cheers

5. He was asking about a 2013. In 2015 they changed the ABS. I think there is a procedure in the service manuals on the later models that requires the DDS computer to activate. Not sure on the details.

6. Ok cool, cheers.

7. My bike is the touring dvt not s model. Just for grins I left everything alone and bled the old fashioned way with the caliper in place, hose going from bleed screw to container and pressing the rear brake between cycles. I guess I only bled what was in the rear master cylinder though. It worked fine and the brakes are as good as they were new. Which is to say ok.

Usually I use a vacuum pump but it was broken at the time.

• Crap Crap x 1
  8. Thank you all for your reply!

9. Yep, did that mod on both my pre-DVT bikes, and rear brakes were then good.
    Also fitted a Brembo Serie Oro rear disc.
    Ducati discs are made by brembo but have a different composition. The Serie Oro after market discs definitely grips better, and along with sintered pads works pretty well.
    There was also a heat shield made to fit behind the master cylinder. I still have one on my bike. Not sure how much it contributes to the overall better performance.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information