1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bleeding the clutch

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by welsh999, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Hi,

on the old site was a guide on how to bleed the clutch on a 999. I seem to recall something about bleed from the top small screw in the reservoir. To change fluid over to use the bottom bleed screw.Anyone any thoughts,Can anyone post a quick' how to' for this.

Cheers

2. Well, I've done this in both conditions on my ST4s, including changing over to an Oberon slave cylinder.

I used a Mityvac vacuum pump to draw the fluid down from the reservoir to fill the system.

When changing the fluid, connect the vacuum pump to the bleed nipple at the slave cylinder. Generate a bit of vacuum and crack the nipple ever so slightly while squeezing the lever, just as you would with brake bleeding. Close the nipple as you hit full throw on the lever. Repeat until you have less than a third of the reservoir left. Top up with fresh fluid and repeat until what is coming out of the bleed nipple is new, clear fluid.

When refilling the system after fitting the new slave cylinder, the procedure is more or less the same. However, when the fluid is coming out at the salve nipple and you can feel the clutch pushrod being actuated, close the nipple and use the old hose in a bottle bleed method for the very last bleed. Three pumps of the lever and hold open the nipple a smidge to let some fluid out and watch for bubbles in the bleed hose. When you get no bubbles for three consecutive openings of the nipples, you are good. Torque the nipple, top up the reservoir and enjoy a smooth responsive clutch action.

A

• Like Like x 1
  3. Welsh I got T9 masters on my monster.

In short when you remove reservoir cover there is a 6mm bleed screw there. Pump up the lever 3, 4 times then squeeze and hold. At that time slowly undo the 6mm bleed screw in reservoir. Slowly :D Observe the fluid if there are any bubbles do it until they stop. Add fluid if needed.

If you want/need to bleed at slave similar as above. Pump couple of times, squeeze and hold then slowly undo the bleed screw at slave. Have a transparent rubber tube over bleed nipple at clutch slave to catch fluid and see if there are any air bubbles. Again do it till no bubbles.

If you want to replace entire fluid then first use a kitchen towel to take out all fluid from master reservoir, fill it up with new fluid. Do 2 -3 cycles of pump and open bleed nipple at slave so master sucks up a bit of new fluid. Then bleed the master as in first step till no air bubbles are present. After that go back to bleeding at slave until your fluid goes from black to what ever new one is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cheers guys will give it a go.

5. sorted cheers

6. Doing this on my 1198, is the bleed nipple slap bang in the middle of the pot? Can't see it for all the damn fluid!

Mine is over the max level, would that cause problems, can't see how it would really.

7. I think your bleed nipple will be on top of the master cylinder, like the front brake, not in the fluid reservoir like the 999.

#7 Cream_Revenge, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  8. Not looked at a 1198 master. After a quick Google, I would expect the bleed nipple to be this bit. 1198 master.PNG

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks mate, think you are right.

10. For another option, try the Gunson:
    http://www.gunson.co.uk/product/G4062

11. I would imagine he is sorted by now.

12. Thanks mate, i was thinking about getting one of those for next time.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information