1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bloody builders

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by catweazle, Jun 29, 2012.

1. I want to get quotes for an extension and so far have had seven builders round to look at the approved plans, only two have sent in quotes one had so many exclusions in it, it was meaningless the other was so cheap I think there would be all sorts of extras added later. The government keeps saying they want the building industry to take the lead in helping the country out of the recession but they are all to busy to supply quotes, I'm getting really p*ssed of. :mad:

2. Friend of mine recently had an extension done.
    Flippin nightmare, all the way through it was "3 grand more for that mate" "2 grand more for that mate" very f'ing scientific!

Have to get one from personal recommendation IMHO

3. Not from friends or family either...that is a nightmare!

4. Builders, secondhand car dealers, bankers.

You will note that probity has an inverse relationship to business margin. The more something costs and the more money there is to be made, the more the profession is filled with unscrupulous greedy cowboys.

Fortunately, you can still trust your baker - just about.

5. Well actually , from Wiki ..................

As a safeguard against cheating, under-filled orders, or any appearance of impropriety, bakers commonly began to throw in one more loaf of bread; this tradition now exists in the phrase "baker's dozen", which is 13. Also a slang term developed by Americans, primarily in the pacific region to refer to anyone that is fat, lazy, unsanitary, and generally repulsive to other human beings. In some cultures being called a Baker is the gravest insult imaginable, and will usually lead to violence.

6. But what if you 'ARE' a baker?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Or a Master-baker...?

Home

8. Is this have I got news for you?? :wink:

9. Don't you mean QI?

10. This weeks guest publication is:

Home

11. Please tell me that is not for real.

12. good builders are too busy and always will be too busy to supply quotes

and beware of those supplying cheap quotes, because quite often there is no margin in what they have quoted and they are relying on extras or shortcuts to make up the margin or will abandon the job half way through and move onto their next cheap quote, cowboy builders has no shortage of examples of these

word of mouth is the best way to find a builder

whereabouts are you? maybe if you give a location people on this site might be able to recommend somebody

13. Got three more builders coming round this week, I will give them each another set of drawings the local photocopier is doing well out of this, I think the extension is to small for them to bother with its 6M x 3M ground floor, could always park a caravan there instead and rent it out in the summer.

14. I had similar issues with builders, I produced a spreadsheet with all the items I wanted them to quote for and made them give me a price against each line. I also said what was and wasn't included:

e.g Decorating - includes standard trade paint but not wallpaper of special paint finishes
    Groundworks - excavation to Xm plus removal of all waste, concrete to xm depth

and so on.

Maybe this will at least help you get a rough price:

Price Calculators - Estimate how much UK services should cost

15. Yup - Next time you happen to be passing an old school bakers or cake shop have a look on the window or door, there's probably a sticker...:biggrin:

16. Anything really wrong with a Confederation of Cakemakers??

17. I've got ball park figures but the extras (ramps through floor lift) seem to frighten builders away, had three more builders around this week I'll get there eventually.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information