1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bmw Purchase Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by SP4S, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Fellow members,

Just wanted to check if any forum members have had any experience with BMW's or know people who may have.

Im looking something a little more comfortable to commute/maybe tour on in this year as my Fireblade was a little too radical for my aching 51 yr old body. So, with the blade gone in a few days time im on the lookout for something a little different/sedate.

Never thought i would be typing this but im drawn to the BMW K1200S and the obvious choice, VFR 750/800.

Basically, i commute into London everyday, but also like something with a bit of oomph for longer journeys, loads of VFR's on eBay etc, not so many k1200S's.

Anything to look out for on the BMW? i know they are not as well made as before, bolts rust, engine paint flakes. But a lot of bike for the the 3.5k mark?

All advice greatly appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132215756620?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2. @Biot has a BMW IIRC

3. I've owned a few BMW's including a 2010 reg K1300S. The K1300S is better than the K1200s as it has evolved and has less vibes. Cam chain tensioners on K1200S were poor but recalls should all have been done and a 'plate' fitted to cam chain sprocket to stop it slipping off sprocket causing obvious damage.
    I like the 'weird' switchgear on K1200S. K1300s has 'traditional' switchgear for indicators but both the switchgear assemblies on the K1300s are prone to failure (poor printed circuits).
    Heated grips are ace. 18000 miles service = valve clearances which needs radiator off. Dry sump so oil changes arent 'normal' but are easy enough (see it on you tube). Shaft drive good. Comfy seating position, good engine but more revvy than a Busa (I owned one of those before the K1300s).
    Currently I own a R1200ST for doing a similar job you are proposing to use bike for. Easy to service, not the same power as K series but lower running cost.
    Hope that helps.

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_1859.JPG

4. Thanks for the reply mate, yes it helps greatly, my budget wont stretch to the 1300, but will bear in mind your advice when looking at a few bikes over the coming days.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Owned a k1200s for 5 years. A brilliant bike for long commutes and handles great on the twisties.
    Only problem I had was with the abs modulator failing. Expensive to buy new but can be got used on ebay.
    Brakes are as good as you get , gears a bit clunky if you want to be critical. Bolts rust/easy fix and some fork are prond to pitting.
    All in all a great bike tho.

6. Father in law had a k1200s for some time and absolutely loved it. They go really well!

He put 40k on his and it never once skipped a beat.

7. Sorry ... it had to be done.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Had two BMWs, a bit younger mind. No issues. Just as well made as anything else. ABS can be an expensive failure on the older ones.

9. If it was a toss up between the K1200 and VFR?

10. I'd have a k1200s over a vfr any day

I'd say it's better in almost every way personally.

11. My very practical road bike and commuter slag is a BMW S1000RR :) luckily I commute on the tube in London so it only really gets used for Nurburgring trips and a bit of road riding.

12. If you can stretch to a twin do so.....more relaxed than the fours......just as quick, but not as fast.

R1200R or RT....or even a GS. Twins or fours will do mega miles.......if you must go 4 cylinder, try a K1200R Sport. More relaxed riding position, half fairing, same power.

I recently upgraded my R1150R for a R1200RS - stunning machine, just did a 1200 mile round trip to Applecross.....felt like riding to the local shops and back.

13. IMG_3389.PNG Nice 1200 for sale on the Ukgs forum. You have to subscribe to view the ads but here's a pic.
    He's just reduced it to £3k

14. Not owned a K12/13, but briefly had a K1600GT SE in 2013, briefly cause the gearbox was simply unacceptable. Great engine and comfort for touring, but that box should have never left the showroom. Not sure what the box on the other "K's" is like but if its like the 16, I'd have the VFR ??

15. Thanks for attaching the ad. Will def give him a call. Lie the fact it's one owner. Doesn't mention mileage.
    Cheers.

16. 33388 miles

17. That seems about average for these bikes from what I have seen on various selling sites.
    Don't really want a 60,000 plus bike

18. Motorworks.co.uk are good for parts, bikes and all stuff BMW. They currently have a K1200S in best colour. Hasn't sold for listed price via eBay so they might be open to accepting an offer. Higher miles and older but you get a warranty for piece of mind. Good luck with search

IMG_1366.PNG

19. If you go for the boxer twin mileage unimportant . I've two pals with high mileage bike. One is a R1200RT N reg with 145,000 and the other a very hard used GS Adventure with 120,000 miles and he is off to Greece on it soon.

20. That does look nice. Many thanks for link. Will call them.
    Only problem is im in London and bike in Yorkshire.
    Anyone local who can pop over and inspect it for me?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information