1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Boots' Thread For Daft Questions

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by bootsam, Aug 30, 2021.

1. I'm currently doing my belts. Now awaiting new bearings to arrive. Whilst I was there, ie bike stripped. I thought to myself, there's some surface rust on frame. I should get that seen to now so it lasts me another 20yrs. If anyone has recommendations as to who to use to ensure the frame is correct matt gold I'd appreciate it. Furthermore, who do people use to get fasteners re-cadmium plated. No, Ive no room to do it myself. Plus chemicals and electricity and me shouldn't be mixed. I can find eff all info on tinterwebs and there's a number of restorers I've read on here. So someone may have a better idea than me.

I do hope this doesn't get out of hand. When you start pulling threads...No, I only want to do frame. I like my patina everywhere else. But rust!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. I couldn’t find anyone that still does Cadmium plating , had to settle for zinc

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. To strip everything off the frame is a massive job. The problem is whilst it’s in bits you may as well change this bearing, those bolts, plate this bracket, paint that engine cover, polish them pipes and before you know it your £3k in and still doing it. I know I’ve still got 3 on the go!! If it’s just paint in an aerosol and your gonna take time to mask off what you can get at, I’d use Mal at bike colours in Morecambe. Most helpful and a good painter in his previous life. All posted promptly and correct colours. Shop available on eBay.
    goodluck whichever way you choose to go. Don’t know any platers local to yourself sorry.
    BDB1D720-B9E4-46D4-81AE-5AA265CEFD5C.jpeg 847DD710-4EF7-42B0-B8B1-B0E81CE4DC06.jpeg A4CF61A3-667E-4C15-9F89-C304722D63BF.jpeg 44510CE2-0380-4DD9-AA32-70333E514AD1.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  4. You need gold zinc but finish can vary plater to plater. It’s all about the prep!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Ah, so its gold ZINC. Righto. Thanks peeps.

Chris, yours look very nice. Mine is non standard (I do have all the old parts though), I genuinely don't need to do anything other than frame. I don't want a pristine bike. I'll ride it and ruin it. Its just some odds and sods may need replating. My engine is strong and needs no work.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I polished my pipes years ago. Ended up looking like a feckin coal miner. Never again.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Can anyone identify these mid pipes as they didn't have a heat shield bracket. Which isn't that bad tbh, esp compared to 1198 which grilled my calf and 1299 which boils my crackers.

IMG_0024.JPG

8. I don’t know the link pipe but it looks 50mm plus. If bigger than 50mm you need to space the footrests out which might be the case as your pegs are non standard. You can get heat shields that are mounted on a jubilee clip with a stud on and tend to mount on the bend of the slip on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Are they the same as these I had on my old heap?
    I had one of the clamps on a jubilee clip as mentioned.
    I paid a chap 60 quid to polish my pipes as I knew it would be a fakking pollaver!

4CA6C6B9-C7F4-4E77-8BF9-2EE521AFF36E.png

• Like Like x 2
  10. What size are your headers ? Andy

11. They're 50mm OD.

12. Then it is similar to a full 996 50mm system I sold a few years ago and that used the the jubilee style clamp for the heat shield. Not sure if I can find it but I might have a spare which you are welcome to. Andy

13. I may have bought it from you Andy. I can't remember where I got it. It was unpolished though. Thats very kind of you but I like it without tbh. I like the line of the pipes.

14. No problem. Mine went to the US so it wasn’t from me :D Andy

15. @Expat Jack got a load of nuts & bolts replated for one of his restos, good colour match, good price iirc.

RS paints do spray cans & touch up bottles for the frame, you’ll still notice it though as the original paint will have faded a bit.

If you have 50mm pipes and open cans, presumably the EPROM inside the ecu has been changed as well?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Yes, it was dyno set up tho on a PC3. Long time ago. Just after actually now I come to recall. But I flashed the previous eprom with one I found for a 916 with 50 on a database. I may still have that file somewhere. I'll bet its on a floppy Ive kept. Now I don't have a floppy. Thingy at Snells (sorry forgot name, paul?) seems to think its a good strong engine. Ive never had any problems. Its always pulled well. It was always the R&R and battery it ate at frequent intervals. Other than that, she's been as good as gold. Esp now Ive deactivated that blasted alarm.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I see you are in London. I used (use) a firm in Maidenhead. Always done me a good job for a good price. The colour is “yellow zinc passivate”.

https://www.chingfordtec.co.uk/

They also do plain zinc and black I think. Part of the process includes acid cleaning so no need to clean fixings beforehand. Owner is called George IIRC. Best to get a big pile together and do as one job lot as the pricing is of the wet finger in the wind variety.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Another thought on above.
    Most importantly you can’t plate alloy as the acid will simply destroy the part. If in doubt check with a magnet. Pretty much all 748/99* and the like OE Ducati bolts are steel.
    The only thing worth cleaning off before the plating process is old loctite. The acid does not strip this 100%.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  19. Adj pulley bearings are - SKF6003 2RSHC3 17x35x10. These replace the 2RS1-C ones. £10 for the pair. The non adj pulley bearings are the same. Int circlip 35mm dia and ext circlip 18mm dia. £3 each for pack of two.

I'm fitting some of Stu's belts and have ordered some of his cables too. Shame he is not about anymore. I quite liked Stu. Despite his failings. (Sorry Stu :) )

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/

#19 bootsam, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Facebook? Instagram? Err, i'm not social media'd. I'll have to get wifey to look for me. Thanks.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information