1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought A Monster Advice Please

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Mark9, May 31, 2019.

1. Hi all I’m buying a cheap (I think) old M900 in the morning, N reg , I’ve already got a 900ss carby so I think I know what to look out for engine wise but are there any particular foibles ref the Monster that I should look for before parting with my hard earned cash???, it’s high mileage 39k, has had recent belts, wheel bearings, starter motor and clutch plates, but it needs a lot of cosmetic TLC, but as I said is there anything peculiar to M900’s that I should check out?, thanks Mark, here’s a photo
    88E6F532-4D2B-4604-9335-9E8106460CB0.png

• Like Like x 3
  2. Pretty much bullet proof, my 93 has 37k miles but I have done piston rings and valve guide seals, other than that all good

You can always ask at www.ukmonster.co.uk for more comments (I’m admin on there)

Ped

3. Thanks Ped

4. Quick additional thought - regulator rectifiers are a bit iffy on older bikes but plenty of options to fix if it goes t*ts up

Here’s mine

083D6501-099D-4F09-91A6-CEC22C7F817C.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  5. Cheers Ped, yours looks great btw, the wheels on mine (if I buy) look rough in the photos and seeing the black wheels on yours makes me think I might go that way, although I have a couple of tins of gold Foliatec wheel paint in the garage so I might try that first, anyway off to York in an hour or so to have a look.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clean and presentable,are you sure it's not a british bike with that container underneath;)hope you get many enjoyable miles this summer:upyeah:

7. Drip tray storage only!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Thanks for the reminder as i need some cheese crackers over this coming week:yum:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. I’m sorry to disappoint chaps but it must be an Irish bike not British. ;) Cream Crackers were invented & made in Dublin:).
    @Mark9 nice bike, go for it. I used to have one, same vintage, rode it all the way from London to Antibes and back one summer, never missed a beat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 72D9444E-ACCD-4277-9FEE-6FE0EA437881.jpeg Bought it, it seems ok but I’ve only done 8 miles and pulled in for a coffee, the only issue so far is front brake judder, could be a warped disc, stuck bobbins or contaminated from the quick clean I just gave it, I’ll have a better look tomorrow when I’m not tired but in general so far so good, (loads of cosmetics to do as well), any thought on the front brakes welcome, cheers Mark.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Nice one! Where’s the bin?

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. They look like aftermarket discs to me, I’d start there

Other than that looks ok to me

13. I’d start with cleaning up the brake pads and disks.
    If you can get the front wheel off the ground it would be worthwhile spinning the wheel to check for runout: disk and wheel rim, plus check the wheel bearings run free and the steering head bearings aren’t dry.

14. Thanks all, I’ll start with cleaning the discs and pads properly , then get it on the stands and get the DTI on it, does anyone know what the largest acceptable runout is?

15. Yes , I can’t see any reason for a dislike, maybe he hit the wrong button, someone gave me a “shit” symbol ages ago on a completely innocuous post?, I’ve never bothered to follow it up but it is a bit annoying!

• Crap Crap x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  16. maybe new to our picture posting ritual and thought you meant bike belongs in one? (it doesn't of course, to me that is a peach.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Oh no I just got a nuke post!, from Chizel, come to think of it he was the one that gave me the “shit” symbol I think?, is nuke bad?

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. 0A652997-DB0C-4CCF-A324-25901B07BA78.jpeg
    Thanks Chris, I’ve been tarting it up a bit, lots still to do but here it is as it stands

• Like Like x 3
  19. Nice exhaust mod. Who made that shiny new one? Its got much better proportions than the original. Now with black wheels too. And cleaned up. You are on it - though the Agip sticker could be a little straighter! LOL

PS
    Harpic should get most of the crap off your down pipes. Google it on youtube.

#20 Jez900ie, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information