1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Brake Bleeding

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Spud256, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Soooooo, whilst cleaning my brakes, I accidentally popped a pot out of the right side caliber. As I put it back in I heard air bubble all the way to the reservoir.
    I understand I have some serious bleeding to do. But do I start at the master cylinder or the left caliber as the furthest point?

2. I would do the MC first then the calipers. I did the same and I started at the calipers but I couldn't get any lever pressure until I did the MC.

I also bought a sealey vacuum bleeder which makes the job a hell of a lot easier on your own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Just to add to the above, after bleeding the master cylinder, go to the caliper with the longest brake line next. Another tip, (using the old method) if you immerse the end of the tube you use for the waste fluid bled from the caliper bleed nipple in fluid at the bottom of your catch bottle, you won’t need to mess about with opening and closing the bleed nipple, you can just pump the master cylinder lever. Just make sure your tubing is long enough to stay immersed and you keep the reservoir topped up. Using this method you can draw the fluid through pretty quickly. Andy

4. Cheers mate, great advice

5. For future reference, I have a few small blocks of wood I put in the calipers to stop the piston coming out to far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Won't that only work when the tube is full?

7. I was always taught (on cars mind) to bleed the closest caliper 1st. :thinkingface:

8. I always thought it was farthest away from master cylinder - but I'm always happy to gain knowledge. I do use a syringe (just for bleeding the brakes !!) and it works pretty well to put a vacuum in to draw fluid. Cheers

9. In my experience, so long as the end of the tube is immersed in fluid before you crack open the bleed nipple and pull the lever, no it doesn't. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Agree with Andy, that was how we bled brakes when I was an apprentice back in the seventies, you MUST make sure the tube stays fully immersed until you have finished bleeding and tightened the bleed nipple.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information