1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Discs Help

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Haydn, May 31, 2015.

1. Not Ducati related this time but theres a lot of knowledge on here so I hope you dont mind me asking. I have a 2003 ZX6RR ex BSS bike. I was told the discs were "Proper race floaty's" when I bought it but on closer inspection they are just worn standard carriers. Looks like someone has rebuilt them with new outers as there is hardly any wear on the discs, but they float alot. They rattle like mad just rolling the bike around the garage. I used the bike at Donington last year with no problems but i'm not sure if they are safe. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Dunno, but I'd have thought that if you'd been on track with them and there were no issues, then there would be nothing much to worry about. Braking on track is a lot harder than braking on the road.

3. Thanks for the quick reply, but its an ex race bike, it will never see the road or light braking, thats why im concerned.

4. Option 1 (cheap) : keep as is, as it seems to work.
    Option 2: change rotors to something more conventional for peace of mind.

5. Have to agree here with Steve, that is well outside the normal wear tolerance

6. Ill replace them. They are standard oem carriers but have worn alot. Any advice on track disc/pad combo? Or I could just get a second hand oem set of discs for now and keep the pads that are in.

7. Or you can buy brake disc bobbins/collects and rebuild them as I did. There is company in uk called "blackshadow uk" that does stainless stell bobbins rebuild kit for brake discs.
    I was happy with my rebuild. Cost me £50 for 20bobbins (10 per disc)

8. Roman,

Its the carrier that has worn though. I think the bobbins are fine. I presume you cant just put larger bobbins in to "fill the hole"?

9. I thought that the carrier is from more durable material than bobbins and therefore rivets/bobbins wore out quickier which was my case. It was a wild suggestion as I have not seen them. Have you got pictures of it? There should be tolerances somewhere for them.

How To - Replacing Brake Rivets (bobbins) On Brembo Discs (ducati 749) | Ducati Forum

Do Not Sell My Personal Information