1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Breakdown...gearbox Issue?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Mattmk1, May 20, 2018.

1. Im currently waiting for the RAC, my trusty 1198 seems to have jammed itself partially in gear.

Came to a roundabout, down through the gears in to second, down again into 1st, the gear lever moved further down than usual and bike lost drive. Couldn’t find any gears, gear lever is solid.

Coasted to a stop with the clutch in.

Clutch movement is normal, no noises when engine runs with clutch pulled in.

Bike is jammed in gear, with the engine off it can’t be pushed unless you pull the clutch in.

Any ideas?

2. Google ‘stuck in gear’ there is a return spring (or arm) that is a regular enough issue to be called regular.

3. Ahh that doesn’t look so bad. Thanks, guess the strip down starts tomorrow.

Good job I’ve got the day off work tomorrow

4. Hope it’s just the selector arm spring and nothing deeper than that.
    Good luck with the stripdown.

5. My mates 1098 did that , turned out it had stripped the teeth of 2nd gear and jammed up the rest of the gear box.

6. Finally got around to pulling the case off yesterday, my selector arm has jumped off and jammed.

Hopefully realign it and im good to go again as the spring seems intact.

Any particular reason why this happens so i can avoid a repeat?

7. Make sure the little “pawl” on the end has not broken off. Mine did that and kept missing gears and getting false neutrals. Not good on the entrance to Paddock Hill Bend at Brands....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I had the same issue last week, I got stuck in 4th. Thankfully bike came with a warranty and it's back with Ducati Glasgow but they also suggested it was a selector arm issue.

9. My 1198 did that on the first day i picked it up, was about three miles from getting home but had to be picked up by the garage i bought the bike from.

10. Just an update incase anyone has similar symptoms, i decided to replace the selector fork and the 'spring' although both seemed ok visibly. I checked the other components for wear, readjusted and reassembled.

Everything seems fine, the gears actually feel better than they did previously so im guessing they were out of alignment for a while.

Fingers crossed all ok now as im going to the black forest on it in ten days!

• Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information