1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breakdown Insurance Uk

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by PerryL, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I had a quick look and could not find anything.

I have a yearly battle with breakdown cover. Given up worrying about the car as that's covered anyway. I have three bikes - all Ducatis - and so I want personal cover. The oldest is about 18 but over 15. Green Flag will not cover anything over 10 and I find the AA & RAC, both pretty useless. Whoever Liverpool & Victoria use are so useless that I took the train home last year. Actually, I think that this is Green Flag. I joined Start rescue last year. I did call them once but cancelled the call and took the train home, again. They are celebrating the fact that nobody had to show up by increasing the premium to £62.65 (about 8%). This is for personal cover in the UK. I need cover for France later in the year and I am not even going to bother get started on that.

It seems to me (and I am bitter) that breakdown companies work on the factor that most people will never call - especially if you don't cover anything over 10 years old. The people who never call will just blindly renew again and again. The small number of troublemakers who expect some kind of breakdown service are better off lost. Therefore you just pretend to help.

If I beakdown then I am not expecting instant service but just a bit of honesty as to how long I will be waiting for. And then i can make a judgement about whether it is worth waiting or making alternative arrangements. My experience is that you will be either not giving any idea, or lied to.

Anyone got any good recommendations?

2. I don't really want to have it linked to my insurance but that is interesting. I will give Footman James a call and investigate....

3. This is a big pain in the backside. I get tiny companies wanting to charge more than the RAC & AA; another company wanting to credit check me and know my marital status; and one offering me a small saving if I sort it out myself and then submit a claim for them to consider.

4. I know that this is not a terribly interesting subject (I'm bored with it, myself!) but called the AA today to verify their quote. They are doing 15 months for the price of 12 atm. That makes it quite good value...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information