1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diavel Brembo M4 Caliper Care! A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Android853sp, Mar 20, 2017.

1. A pre ride routine check on Carole's Diavel found that the front calipers were sticking. Subsequent disassembly found the pads were very rusty and the pistons were clogged with a fine grit. The bike is regularly cleaned but I tend to only clean the calipers once or twice a year and hadn't looked at them for several months. Anyway the calipers were sent off for a professional clean and new seals but just got the phone call from hell, 6 of the 8 pistons have damaged Teflon coating so new pistons required. Lesson learned, I will now routinely fire up the air compressor and give the calipers a good going over especially if we have been out on gnarly gravely roads. I'll also increase the maintenance frequency, on both bikes ! Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Do you use muckoff by chance? As its extremely dangerous stuff if left on a bike to long.

3. Most definitely not, as you say horrible stuff. Bucket of hot water with Autoglym no wax detergent and a microfibre mit, washed off with clean water and towelled dry. Have also had good results from the Vulcan wipes where chain wax and road muck collects. I have a suspicion that last ride involved mostly B roads that had a lot of grit and sand washed onto them by the then recent heavy rain. I just didn't aporeciate how much road detritis can collect in the calipers but as I said, important lesson learned. Andy

4. Really?? didn't know this.... I've used this for a few years, I always clean it off properly and dry and wax... any particular reason why this stuff is bad?? to be fair I've bought some meguires now but would like to know why the negative press for muc off??

5. Which Muc-Off product causes problems? I regularly use the chain cleaner.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information