1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Email mistake reveals Bank of England's EU exit project - BBC News

It looks like Cameron has done some preparation ahead of the 2017 Referendum. The Bank of England has "accidentally leaked" details of its preparation in the case of a Yes, Exit vote.

My only question - does Cameron believe that anyone is fooled by this? Really?
    It's embarrassing, how easy it is at times to see the strings :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. All standard fare.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. yip,welcome to project fear mk111. it's hilarious but sad all at the same time. your leaders and media must really think your daft right enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Remember, they're your leaders too, fin ... or have you misplaced a referendum recently? :p

The gameplay by leaders, I get. That's how things are done. But does it have to be quite so obvious that they are scamming us? Really? They aren't even trying to disguise what they do these days and frankly, I'm insulted :mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Cameron isn't renegotiating the terms the the UK's membership of the EU. By signing the Lisbon treaty Britain (or rather Gordon Brown who did the signing as part of an electoral scorched earth strategy) has pledged in perpetuity never to seek such changes.
    Mr Cameron isn't reshaping the EU or redefining Britain's relationship with it. What he's discussing with EU leaders is what are the minimum tweaks that would be needed to extract an "in" vote form the British electorate so "The Project" can continue as planned without treaty change.
    I doubt the BBC or the Guardian will be reporting it like that.

#5 Gimlet, May 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. In all fairness, it does need tweaking.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. loz,mate,dude. their not my leaders. they take tax from me under duress.that's it. nothing more.
    thing is, they haven't moved on. these sort of tactics would have worked pre ref debate but not anymore. guess what i have been doing for the last hour instead of being out on me bike? watching the future of the Scottish economy debate from hollyrood recorded through the week.i promise you i wont be the only one and i don't consider myself to be a mad NAT. feck me i am only 47 watching that bollox but i kneed to know whats going on for myself without relying on the press. just look at the nicola sturgeon leaked memo for starters. carmichal has just admitted that he knew it was lies and was behind it,yet the papers state today it was an honest account wtf?
    misinterpretation and half truths just piss people off and drove people to be anti westwinster and join the snp and will be the same uk wide regarding the in/out debate and upcoming referendum.
    i am all for the E.U yet obviously a bit of tweaking is required.
    dugdale/rennie/cameron get it up ye!
    :smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Did anyone seriously think anything different would occur after the Election?

• Like Like x 1
  9. The EU can't be tweaked. The purpose of every treaty since the Treaty of Rome is the creation of a single state.
    If you are in favour of dissolving your national identity, surrendering you sovereignty and becoming a district within a single European state - and one ruled by an centralised unelected politburo - then say so and lets have a referendum on that basis. If you want to be a member of a free trade zone and customs union while retaining full nation sovereignty and maintaining the primacy of Parliamentary democracy, then don't delude yourselves: that is not a relationship that can be unilaterally enacted, even superficially, to placate a restive UK electorate. It is not on offer, it never has been and it cannot be tweaked into existence. To suggest otherwise is snake oil.
    The only way for the UK to realise such a relationship with Europe is to repeal the European Communities Act, invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, formally withdraw our membership and become an associate trading partner of the free market, a friend and ally of the EU but not a member of it.

#9 Gimlet, May 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. You are not the target audience ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. at a ratio of 9-1 don't think that statement surprises me any more than it did before.
    but alas you could be wrong. referendums and significant change comes to mind.:upyeah::smile:

12. But the debate hasn't really started proper, all we have so far is a bit of posturing. Until it gets under way I don't think we will have an idea of what way opinion polls are going and recent polls have been very inaccurate.

Personally I'm pro EU, but I appreciate their is a lot of strong feelings on both sides. My gut feeling is the vote will be to remain in the EU by a narrow margin. It will be a very divisive debate centring around scare tactics from both sides but in the end what will win it (if you can call it that) is negative arguments about the economic uncertainty of leaving, Which is a real shame because instead of having a proper debate about the pros and cons of the EU and put the matter to rest for a generation, people will decide out of fear of the unknown. It will continue to fester away and in 5 or 10 years we will be back in the same position. While that goes on (which is what has been happening for the past 10 years) our influence in the EU is marginalised.

Till now the UK attitude towards the EU is we join the party but then spend the whole time in the kitchen.

13. Its not quite as simple as that. The party we thought we'd joined turned out to be completely different from the description on the invite.

14. I agree, the world has moved on since 1975. The goal of a federal Europe has been on the cards since 1992. The issue was ducked by the Tory Government then so a referendum is long overdue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. :Bucktooth:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Except we're not going to get a referendum on EU membership. We're going to get a tendentiously worded plebiscite on whether we approve or disapprove of some notional EU constitutional amendments which Mr Cameron will claim to have won with his wildly successful yet secretive renegotiations and which will be enacted, maybe, at some indeterminate point in the future subject to ratification. And if we do not approve these nebulous amendments another set and then another ad infinitum will be cobbled together for our consideration until we give the correct answer.
    The fundamental question of whether we wish to dissolve our nation and become subsumed within a European superstate will not be asked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fundamental

18. Fund a mental :Bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. We're funding a whole Tower of Babel full of mentals.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information