1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Haven’t got a yellow vest.

If in the U.K. though I’ll wear my string vest and put a knotted hankie on my head. I can tell the family we’re on holiday then and save a packet.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. The 'losers' vote party :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. France a bit far for me to get there in time.

The people’s vote party is probably more popular with serial protesters, if the opportunity arises the looting will be better than on a motorway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. I heard the numbers will be boosted in London today as they have opened a new quinoa and flat white bar near Bermondsey, numbers are expected to see London empty apart from one bit

#28984 noobie, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. “Exit day” – the official switch-over
    The legislative solution in the EU (Withdrawal) Act 2018 is to have one designated “switch-over” date: “exit day”. After this point (among other things) the ECA (and other EU-related legislation) is repealed and the new system of “retained EU law” comes into effect. Section 20(1) defines “exit day” as 29 March 2019 at 11pm GMT.

This date coincides with the date on which (by default) the EU treaties cease to apply to the UK. This follows the notification of intent to withdraw having been made on 29 March 2017. However, “exit day” is not formally linked to that date: it will not “automatically” update if (for whatever reason) the UK’s membership of the EU continues beyond 29 March 2019.

The domestic law definition of “exit day” does not affect when the UK leaves the EU. It only affects when the UK changes its laws to deal with the domestic consequences of EU exit.

By a similar sentiment, the UK does not leave the EU simply by repealing the European Communities Act 1972. Repeal of that Act would only place the UK in breach of its membership obligations if it had not already left. The role of UK domestic law in the operation of Article 50 is to determine whether the UK Government can or must start it (by notification) or stop it (by revocation). No more; no less.

Why might “exit day” need to be changed?
    If an extension is agreed by the European Council with the UK Government, the “the day and time that the Treaties are to cease to apply to the United Kingdom” will be later than the definition of “exit day” in UK primary legislation.

In such a scenario the UK would continue to be a member of the EU – with all the resulting obligations in EU law. However, if the EU (Withdrawal) Act 2018 were to be brought fully into force, this would have the effect of repealing the ECA. Even though much of EU law would have been “converted” into UK law, no UK court could refer a case to the CJEU, many financial payments to the EU would be (domestically) unlawful, and UK law would not “keep pace” with subsequent developments in EU law. Moreover, the commencement regulations for the 2018 Act provide that the European Union Parliamentary Election Act 2002 is to be repealed “on exit day”. Unless “exit day” is updated, the UK would have no domestic legal basis for holding European Parliamentary elections in May 2019.

How can “exit day” be changed?
    “Exit day” is defined in primary legislation. Changing it would therefore normally require further primary legislation. However the EU (Withdrawal) Act 2018specifically contemplated the possibility of an extension being sought and granted, and allows exit day’s definition to be changed in those circumstances by secondary legislation.
    Section 20(4) allows a Minister of the Crown to change exit day provided that a draft statutory instrument has been laid before and approved by both the House of Commons and the House of Lords. However, it can only be used:
    “to ensure that the day and time specified in the definition are the day and time that the Treaties are to cease to apply to the United Kingdom.”
    In practice this means that an extension must first have been agreed to at EU level before any such regulations can be made to change the date. As the Government itself said in a written statement on Friday 15 March:
    “It is expected that the EU will use the March European Council on the 21 and 22 March 2019 to consider and reach a decision on a request from the UK to extend the Article 50 period.
    As soon as possible following agreement at the EU level we will bring forward the necessary legislation to amend the definition of exit day in domestic legislation. This statutory instrument will be laid, before it is made, under section 20(4) of the EU (Withdrawal) Act 2018.
    This legislation is subject to the draft affirmative procedure and so would need to be actively approved in each House. The legislation would give effect to any agreement with the EU on an extension, so would not be laid before Parliament until that agreement had been reached.”

https://commonslibrary.parliament.u...5e_Jp8zZn3e_qRW1cRXT8wa8oANwlMaAYnbLAdFx6Qqus

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I don't reccomend the French one, I've heard its a bit rough. I doubt many will be at Nigels bash, but there is a crowd funder up to repay the poor sods who walked on his march. Its not much to donate as there were only 40 or so. On the otherhand, there expected to be quite a gathering at the Peoples Vote Party!
    at the same time there was considerably more Germans in Germany marching for a wee country that shall remain nameless. (fir noo) for remaing in the EU as a soverign country than attended this, so called brexit march.
    just saying. :D.

7. I googled German protests.

All I got was protests about
    Far Right
    EU copyright laws
    Pro diesel March.

You’re going to have to help me out and tell me which one you meant please ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Not the first time Germans have gone to Scotland to then get the Scots to missbehave against the U.K.

[​IMG]

I give you, Rudolph Hess :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. [​IMG]
    i give you Joseph Geobbles.

• Like Like x 1
  10. infact i think we should recreat the 2WW Dunkirk spirit, you guys do yer thing and leave us in europe. again.:upyeah:

11. A large gathering at the Peoples Vote Party, only because they don't have to walk far, its on there doorstep, southern based minority.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. The DUP's are not going to vote with May. Again. WTF did she pay them a Billion quid for?

"The DUP – whose support will be crucial if the Government is to win – indicated they would not back her deal, with the party's deputy leader Nigel Dodds lamenting the PM's failure to secure any changes to the Northern Ireland backstop while in Brussels.

"Nothing has changed as far as the Withdrawal Agreement is concerned. We will not accept any deal which poses a long-term risk to the constitutional and economic integrity of the United Kingdom," he said.

13. I don't think if you check their pockets or party bank account, they will have a billion quid. It was a promise of extra funds to the northern Irish assembly won by the dup.

Their support agreement covered day to day support, brexit is a one off different agreement and May knew that from last July when the Chequers deal with the backstop first appeared

14. I guess it was a slow day in the news room when these were written. There much more of the same if you need them - google is your friend.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...esa-may-finalise-dup-deal-prop-tory-minority/
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...dup-reach-deal-to-prop-up-minority-government
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...rexit-legal-mps-parliament-vote-a8226056.html
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-b...-with-dup-to-prop-up-government-idUKKBN19H0H3

dup.jpg

15. Which was a joke in itself considering they haven’t assembled for 2 years now (2/3/17) and no-one can see them assembling in the future either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Another good reason for an election. The DUP will hopefully be in the minority and perhaps then the NI people will get all the rights that eveyone else in the UK does. What a concept.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Just got this via facebook....
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. The joke is ALL and not just the dup, keep asking the electorate to vote for them whilst all sides by actions, think no devolved government is acceptable.

19. Would anybody vote Tory or Labour in a GE at the moment, perhaps some goldfish might.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information