1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Renegotiations

2. Stop using big words :Bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I hope that's not the wording of the referendum ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. A question is not a question until the question is questioned. Poet 1287

5. Why not? That's the truth of it. But asking that question would produce the "wrong" answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The truth, you can't handle the truth. Arnold Palmer 1976

7. "In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

George Orwell.

• Like Like x 2
  8. "Its closer to the truth to say you can't get enough
    You know you're gonna have to face it you're addicted to love."

Robert Palmer Top of The Pops 1985.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Nonsense. Anything can be tweaked.

10. But it can't be tweaked into being something it isn't and never was, which is the free trade zone and customs union we were dishonestly told we were joining. The EU is merely the latest transitory identity of an institution whose entire raison d'etre is the establishment of a single state. Any tweaking will be in that direction only.
    Rearranging the deck chairs will not cause the ship to alter course. It may very well sink but that's another matter and all the more reason why we should paddle our own perfectly serviceable canoe.

• Like Like x 1
  11. not unless it's allowed to happen, is Britain alone when it comes for calls for reform? cant provide any stats or proof but i suspect the eastern European nations might be all for closer ties but what about the rest.

12. Britain wants access to the single market, with all the benefits and prosperity that brings, but it does not want to sign up for all the associated stuff - a limit on the number of hours in a working week, employee protections, a single currency, economic subsidies, etc - in short, it wants to have access to all the toys but does not want to be subject to the controls that bring about the level playing field upon which the single market depends.

Normally, I'd say stuff it, we'll take our chances alone but since Britain has been incapable of ruling itself properly for decades now (since 1979, at least), I say we let Brussels do it and we all start learning German. Ja?

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  13. Quick, get a German bird, ..........oh, fook :Bucktooth::Wacky::Nailbiting::Facepalm::Dead:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Oh dear...
    Edward VII and, in turn, his son, George V, were members of the German ducal House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha by virtue of their descent from Albert, Prince Consort, husband ofQueen Victoria. High anti-German sentiment amongst the people of the British Empire during World War I reached a peak in March 1917, when the Gotha G.IV, a heavy aircraft capable of crossing the English Channel, began bombing London directly and became a household name. In the same year, on 15 March, King George's first cousin, Nicholas II, theEmperor of Russia, was forced to abdicate, which raised the spectre of the eventual abolition of all the monarchies in Europe. The King and his family were finally convinced to abandon all titles held under the German Crown and to change German titles and house names to anglicised versions. Hence, on 17 July 1917, a royal proclamation issued by George V declared:

Now, therefore, We, out of Our Royal Will and Authority, do hereby declare and announce that as from the date of this Our Royal Proclamation Our House and Family shall be styled and known as the House and Family of Windsor, and that all the descendants in the male line of Our said Grandmother Queen Victoria who are subjects of these Realms, other than female descendants who may marry or may have married, shall bear the said Name of Windsor....[2]

In 1947, Princess Elizabeth (now Queen Elizabeth II), heir presumptive to King George VI, married Philip Mountbatten. He was a member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, a branch of the House of Oldenburg, and had been a prince of Greece and Denmark. However, not wishing to repeat the difficulties of three decades previous, Philip, a few months before his marriage, renounced his princely titles and adopted the surname Mountbatten, which was that of his uncle and mentor, Earl Mountbatten of Burma, and itself was adopted by Lord Mountbatten's father (Philip's maternal grandfather), Prince Louis of Battenberg, in 1917. It is the literal translation of the German Battenberg, which refers to Battenberg, a small town in Hesse.

Soon after Elizabeth became queen of the Commonwealth realms in 1952, the Earl Mountbatten (as Philip's uncle was then known) advocated that she change the name of her royal house to House of Mountbatten; it was the standard practice for the wife in a marriage to adopt her husband's surname. When Elizabeth's grandmother, Queen Mary, heard of this suggestion, she informed British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and he later advised the Queen to issue a royal proclamation declaring that the royal house was to remain known as the House of Windsor. This she did on 9 April 1952, officially declaring it her "Will and Pleasure that I and My children shall be styled and known as the House and Family of Windsor, and that my descendants who marry and their descendants, shall bear the name of Windsor."[4] Philip privately complained, "I am nothing but a bloody amoeba. I am the only man in the country not allowed to give his name to his own children."
    [5]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c".. Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f".. This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vordskontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensi bl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi TU understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.
    Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

If zis mad you smil, pleas pas on to oza pepl.

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. one of our msp's don't get to vote because he is french. that will learn him.

17. MSP's should just get to vote in Scotland. And that should include the Jimmy Kranky lookalike.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information