1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. So in other words we can't just say no and walk away when they don't give in to the UK demands?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. I didn't count his ranting's :)

3. We should walk away anyway - no offers of negotiation, then the ball is in their court if they wish to trade free with the UK they can ask, this will benefit them more than us. You know this already and you are just playing :Watching:

4. Explain why that is?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. in the 262 pages to date, the explanation has been touched on once or twice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Yep hide your head in your hands - that's the answer - Just like the government.

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 2
  7. Look at the balance of trade figures for the UK; of the top 25 trading partners, only 7 are in the EU. Of these only 1 -Ireland brings the UK a net positive balance of trade, the rest are in deficit to the tune of £25+ Billion. Germany alone is £10 Billion net deficit - 40% of this net EU deficit - imagine how it would impact their economy if they couldn't trade with us or the EU imposed 10% tariffs & we reciprocated. The main imports are manufactured goods, cars, pharmaceuticals, all things we could arguably produce ourselves or get from other markets. If tariffs were imposed, price rises would price them out of the market and in addition to exchange rate effects driving up the cost of imported goods, whilst lowering the prices of our exports.

There is still a good economic argument for us to exit and play in global markets without being constrained by the EU whilst retaining access to the EU market, because of the economic access the EU needs to the UK market - at least for the time being. The main worry would be, of course, financial services access & EU trading, and the near-term impact of the shock to the markets. And having the right leadership to negotiate is clearly a bit challenging.....

8. the tale of the ostrich and the sand .

9. was just goin to say something similar...

10. to kirky that is

11. get you head oot you nutter :D

12. 47% of our exports are to the EU. 52% of our imports are from the EU. In some months this year those figures have been the other way round. We will both suffer significantly if those figures dropped dramatically.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. The only person saying trade will stop is you. Everyone else thinks it will continue whatever the final outcome. Plus we'll be more open to the rest of the world.

If.......as above, I think you'll find life will go on.

• Like Like x 1
  15. No, that is just your inability to read and understand sentences.

What was actually said was that we import more from the EU than we export to the EU, therefore it is just as much, if not more, in their interests to get a deal than it is ours.

So, just to be clear, we need to trade with them and they need to trade with us but they have more to lose than us if that trade is made more difficult.

Now, think about that for a while ...

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Pounds and Euros don't come in percentages, 47% of a big number is bigger than 52% of a small number.

It is in neither the UK nor the EU's interests to make trade more difficult.

If we don't get a deal we switch to WTO rules and continue to trade with the EU.

Got that ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. OK parting shot.....I do hope we get out before the EU/Euro/Banks explode!

It really could just be a matter of time.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information