1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I'm afraid you are missing my point entirely.
    I am not interested in who said it,nor the context in which it was said,which is precisely why I did not draw attention to the Author
    The statement,however, is entirely,and factually correct,(in my opinion of course).
    Small things,like the number of lives saved by the wearing of a Crash Helmet for instance,are inevitably inflated in order to justify the imposition of a law compelling us to wear one.Look into the actual figures since compulsion,and you'll find that the number is much smaller,certainly not enough to justify the compulsory wearing of one.
    But the big figures have been trumpeted so often that mothers won't let their kids ride bikes,and I can't ride sans casque,despite being old enough and smart enough to know that the only person to suffer if I don't will be yours truly.
    Global warming is another big fib....look at the core samples over the last 420,000 years,these fluctuations are quite normal...so they changed the name to Climate Change in order to beat us over the head in case the world freezes instead of heats up.
    But the most obvious,recent and blinding example is the last Election! The media endlessly droned on about a hung Parliament,desperate to turn people away from both voting UKIP and trying to get a Labour government with a majority...and wtf,no one believed them this time and people voted the way they wanted...cue continuous and earnest hand wringing on screen,"how did we get it so wrong?"
    People in this country are cynical about politics because they have seen through many of the big lies...
    The old fable about the Emperors New Clothes, and the statement I quoted ,have exactly the same meaning.
    It just happens they are centuries apart.

#61 Lightning_650, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. So why are you linking it to Hitler ?

#62 johnv, May 28, 2015
  3. No. Our nation is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and Parliament is there to take decisions for all of us.

4. I linked the quote used to Hitler, which is accurate.

5. Who originally wrote those words is not relevant, which is why Lightning did not state the author. You on the other hand did quote the author and I asked you the question why, which you have not answered.

6. I'm afraid the author of the quote is relevant. You can pretend it isn't and cherry pick sound bites from anywhere, in order to make sense the author of a quote is important as the quote itself.

Really, you can't quote Adolf Hitler and expect that it doesn't matter if you leave out his name. It is a free country and people are allowed to express their views, but there should also be clarity in whose views are being expressed.

7. unfortunately my sense of humor has gone right oot the winday. when my ramp broke down an hour ago.
    a quote like that can only have come from someone like hitler or farage or nick griffin for that matter. being a sniffer of the exhaust fume or not i can still recognize scaremongering and bull when i hear it. and being 100% honest i thought it was one of Hitlers.
    yip only 56 maybe 57mp's shortly but if you do your math (exige hates that) add the others together yip only 10 of a majority how loyal will their backbenchers be over the next 5 years combined will a pile of lords looking for a piece of the action, hmm not looking to rosie now. you should never underestimate the powers of persuasion when the salesman is selling something you want dearly. and please dont try to tell me we have nothing to offer, successive governments have been putting a hell of a lot of effort in to maintain the "united kingdom" Which i recognize, but too little too late. so yes let westminster maintain it's traditions (the very ones we will be slagging off several months down the line) and continue to distance it's self from the people that put them there, hmm maybe hitler had a point :smile:.
    Here Here. Not!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. If enough of you had voted the way you want them to in the Referendum,we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    But unfortunately the little fishes could not convince enough Scots folk to see it their way,hence we are all still skipping down the road hand in hand.
    in other words,there were too few of you to change anything then,and there are still too few of you in Parliament to influence anything now.
    The House of Lords is an expensive irrelevance,which cannot stop anything,thank christ...they can pontificate and bluster,but at the end of the day Parliament can push through whatever the majority of MP's want...and any Tory that decides to side with the current crop of Labour oxygen thieves will need his head examined,because no voter likes a turncoat.
    Personally,I had hoped you'd have won your independence...but you didn't,so man up and accept it..I'm sure the Alex and Nicky show will weasel their way out of their,"one referendum",promise very soon...one example of a politician lying that you will almost certainly approve of.
    You had a Referendum,and your side lost: we want a Referendum on our Independence from the EU,please don't be a hypocrite and try to deny many of us the chance that your country were given....it's not my fault our nations are still married,is it?
    Don't assume that a vote for the SNP will be a vote to stay in the EU...if it were me,I'd be thinking that I'd just be swapping English dominance for EU dominance,and wheres the fun in that? Like running away from home and moving in with your Aunt and Uncle...
    As it happens,that statement is mostly attributed to Josef Goebbels,not Hitler,but as I wasn't there when it was said I'll let you off.
    And here's a few other things that you may well take advantage of,but perhaps were unaware of the origins of the ideas:

1.Nazi Germany was the first country to ban vivisection in the world, enacting a total ban in April 1933
    2.When the Nazis came to power in 1933, their concerns not only laid with the people, but with the animals native to Germany. In 1934, a national hunting law was passed to regulate how many animals could be killed per year, and to establish proper ‘hunting seasons’. These hunting laws have now been applied in most western countries.
    3.The Nazis banned smoking in restaurants and public transportation systems, citing public health, and severely regulated the advertising of smoking and cigarettes. There was also a high tobacco tax, and the supplies of cigarettes to the Wehrmacht were rationed. Several health organizations in Nazi Germany even began claiming that smoking heightened the risks of miscarriages by pregnant women, now a commonly known fact.
    4.Nazi Germany had one of the largest public welfare programs in history, based on the philosophy that all Germans should share a standard of living.
    One of the most famous of these was the Winter Relief program, where high ranking Nazis and common citizens both took to the streets to collect charity for the unfortunate. This was not only an extremely intelligent propaganda move, but also a ritual to generate general good public feeling toward those in need. Posters urged people to donate rather than give directly to beggars. Joseph Goebbels, himself a high ranking Nazi in control of Radio, Television and Propaganda, often participated in these events.
    5.Volkswagen Beetle.Literally meaning “People’s Car”, this vehicle was presented as a car that every German citizen could afford to buy. It was based on the advice of Hitler to the designer, saying that it should resemble a beetle. The car was a huge success (it was made available to citizens of the Third Reich through a savings scheme at 990 Reichsmark, about the price of a small motorcycle), but toward the end of the war resources were low and public availability declined.
    6.Motorways/Autobahns:While not originally conceived by the Nazis, Hitler was an enthusiastic supporter of the idea and pushed for the largest network of roads to be built across Germany. Established as the first freeway system in the world, the autobahn was a revolutionary feat of engineering that forever changed the way humans travel. Thousands of countries have emulated the system Hitler put in place, including America and Britain. It is single handedly the largest network of roadways in the world, with roads stretching all across the country, even to other countries such as Austria.The construction of this roadway wasn’t only revolutionary in itself, it provided over 100,000 workers with jobs necessary for the economic recovery efforts. It was a goal of the Nazi party to try and bring the country into a sense of unity through the roadway system, and for the most part it was successful
    7.The man who invented rockets as we know them today, Wernher Von Braun, was a member of the Nazi party and commissioned Schutzstaffel Officer. He aided both Germany and the United States in the use of rockets during and after WW2, and eventually became a naturalized U.S. Citizen.
    Although he pioneered many areas, including the installation of liquid-fueled rockets in aircraft and orbit to ground missiles, he is best known for his achievements in NASA.
    His best achievement there was undoubtedly the development of the Saturn V booster rocket, that helped man to finally touch the moon, in July 1969. Von Braun officially opened the gate to space travel through his innovative inventions…as well as creating one of the most destructive methods of war known to mankind.
    8.The Nazis were very interested in both film and music as propaganda techniques and essential cultural pillars. The first known magnetic tape recording was of a speech made by Hitler, and Joseph Goebbels pushed for more complicated methods of filming.
    For example, the propaganda film ‘Triumph of the Will’, the sequel to the former propaganda film ‘Triumph of the Faith’, is regarded as one of the most important pieces of cinematographic history. The director, Leini Riefenstahl (pictured above) used an astounding thirty film cameras and over one hundred technicians to produce the two hour film. Since Triumph of the Will had an unlimited budget, the latest technologies were used. Cranes and track-rail filming were used, techniques still used today to make a smooth ‘traveling’ effect.
    Ultimately, the propaganda films are dead, but the techniques developed at the time are seen regularly in the latest great Hollywood blockbusters.
    9.The founder of Adidas, Adolf Dassler (whose nickname was Adi), was a Nazi. He produced shoes for the Wehrmacht during the war, as well was providing American and Nazi athletes with his footwear during the Berlin Olympics. This created national acclaim when Jesse Owens won the sprinting event at the Berlin Olympics wearing Adolf Dassler’s shoes. Adidas is now a multinational company, supplying athletes all over the world with a supply of footwear and sports accessories.
    His brother, Rudolf Dassler, was the more ardent Nazi of the two brothers and went on to found another proficient sports company…Puma. Oh – and Hugo Boss was a Nazi who, from 1934, was an official supplier of uniforms to the SA, SS, Hitler Youth, NSKK and other Party organizations.
    10.Medical Advances:The death of ethics from medicine in Nazi Germany was a sinful, reckless, and dangerous decision, leading to untold atrocities; it has created one of the most extensive ethical controversies in history. Through the Nazi use of torture they discovered information that is discretely used by doctors and medical scientists today. For example, the Nazis extensively studied and monitored hypothermia, at Dachau concentration camp, by subjecting victims to severe torture. The Nazis immersed victims in vats of freezing water or left them out in the winter cold, all the while monitoring changes in body temperature, heart rate, muscle responses and urine. These tests were initially performed on volunteer soldiers, but the Nazis were not satisfied that they had all the information they could get and began to test on concentration camp victims. They attempted to formulate methods to bring the bodies back to a safe temperature, including the “Rapid Active Rewarming” technique that seemed to be the most effective method of revival – and is used today in the west. This research could potentially fill a gap in other researchers studying hypothermia.

Top 10 Things The Nazis Got Right - Listverse
    For your information I do not promote,condone,admire,or agree with Nazi philosophy or anything resembling it.
    A truism is a truism is a truism...it matters not whether a mass murderer or a Saint wrote it,if it's true...

#68 Lightning_650, May 28, 2015
  9. Words express meaning irrelevant of who says or writes the words.

Presumably you linked the quote to the original author to discredit those words, which tell of the way governments and states can gain power and subjugate the people, because you approve of the EU and the way in which it does just that ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ah, the Rupert Murdoch principle, to be seen in action daily in every newsagent's.

11. Quoting words out of context in order to mislead the reader is a classic form of deception. Surely you cannot be seriously saying you approve of it?

12. It is not just Rupert Murdoch though.

13. Neither is true.

Words are used to express meaning, but not in and of themselves, context is as important.

The quote belongs to the author who discredits himself. They offer a particular viewpoint of the Weimar Republic. You can claim this viewpoint correlates with your current view of the EU, that's fine it's an opinion. I don't agree with that view.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Do words not stand in their own right ?

Quoting words out of context to bait a trap and then putting them back into context to spring the trap is a classic form of trickery, are you saying you have never done just that ?

15. I think

is a warning to all. The original context may have been as part of a master plan to dominate the world but we can equally see those words as a warning.

16. That's fine, but as minor point you are crediting Hitlers words to Lightning.

Those words were used by a despot in order to gain power, are they are warning or proof that politicians will say anything to get your vote?

17. firstly, enough of the Scots did vote for independence, two groups pushed it over the edge one being those not born in scotland, but regardless of what you have been reading in the mail or other there will be no victimization or ostracizing going on. nor will i be loosing any sleep over it.
    i dont pretend to know enough about parliamentary procedure but i believe the lords can return a bill for amendments at least once, thereby slowing procedure down. pain in the ring for the camaron.
    we wont be hypocrites by denying you the E.U exit, some careful and clever tactics employed by enrolling salmond in to the role of eu spokesman, which i can spot a mile off. that being if salmond wants it, south of the boarder will oppose it. leading to significant change and the ensuing debate. :upyeah:.
    surly to f..k we aint gonna start singing the praises of adolf? likewise i aint gonna start mentioning the amount of good work harold shipman would have done.

18. This was never my intention.

I think we have to listen very carefully to what politicians say, or more importantly, don't say, particularly when they want our vote ;)

19. LOL you better get that ramp fixed yer crotchety git...
    There were more of you that voted to stay than leave,but yer SNP fishes can't accept the result...just like Labour down here.
    The English will do what they've always done,steamroller over you,the Welsh and to an extent the Irish,thats nothing to be proud of for an Englishman like myself , Scotland had the chance to bale out but didn't want to lose the Barnett formula,so we are stuck with you as much as you are stuck with us.
    A referendum on EU membership is necessary,because back in the day we voted on joining a Common Market,not a federation of States.There is no guarantee that it will end up with the UK leaving the EU,but it might happen and either way the sun will still rise the following day.
    The Lords can be arseholes and delay things,but the wheels of administration turn slowly and what will be will be-I'm surprised that you look to an unelected anachronism to assist your case, but there you go,each to their own.
    Anyone who thinks that tyrants aren't bloody clever underestimate them.In that first statement Goebbels was describing out a strategy to achieve an aim...that strategy has been studied and copied by numerous politicians since,in order to achieve their aims.
    The Nazis used these strategies to successfully dupe a whole nation into believing that what they preached was right,and successfully hid the awfulness of the consequences.
    If you took the time to read some of the other tactics used,you would see that,(although the goals are different),they are actually being put into practice right now.
    Read the words :merely rejecting them on the basis that you don't like who wrote them means you will be blind to the consequences when they have been inflicted on you,Fin.And it will be too late then.
    "Trust no-one,question everything"

20. "The genius of our ruling class is that it has kept a majority of the people from ever questioning the inequity of a system where most people drudge along, paying heavy taxes for which they get nothing in return".
    Clever bloke,that Gore Vidal....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information