1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Indy: What Happens Now?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Loz, May 23, 2015.

?
  1. Full Brexit with "no EU deal" on the 29th March.

2. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a general election and new negotiations.

3. Request Extension to article 50 to allow cross party talks and a new deal to be put to EU.

4. Request Extension to article 50 to allow a second referendum on 1. Remain in EU or 2. Full Brexit.

5. Table a motion in parliament to Remain in EU WITHOUT a referendum.

6. I don't know or I don't care anymore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Common sense ^^^. All we can hope for.

2. There you go.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Yesterday Barnier was saying the U.K. can have a special deal, today he's saying prepare for no deal. it's this kind of sillyness by the eu that was forecast so as to take it to the last minute and then leave us stranded, our own side said they could not be trusted, it's not as though they were not warned, cest la vie.

No deal is what was voted for, the clear leave the eu vote and not to be involved to a point that they can keep meddling and call the shots. You raise perhaps the key point, short term. Most remainers comments have been about the short term and most brexiteers have been about the long term

There is no middle ground, most mp's want to stay in the eu whilst the majority of the eletorate want to leave, it's that impass where if parliament dares to say we know better than you, all sides at the next election maybe in for a shock

Nope, worst case ever, keeping voting till we stay in is what most people will hear and keep voting till we ignore democratic votes till we get the one we want, again, massive consequences for any future democratic vote

Are they hard liners if the democratic vote was to leave and those who then see the eu as a timeshare are seen as the good guys? the clue was leave, something remainers still have trouble with. There won't be a general election vote or a second vote. At some point parliament must yield to democratic vote majority or themselves have vote after vote after vote on every single election of any kind. Brexit goes way beyond the eu, it goes to the very core of when is a democratic vote not a democratic vote

Labour won't get in whilst Corbyn is in charge, he is now too tainted and toxic.

May has two choices, carry out what was voted for or be removed before the next general election because the tories know they will be decimated

two, offer a soft brexit to the remainers, undermine every single democratic vote from that point forward and still be removed but hope she might have long enough to change 17,410,742 peoples mind that she hasn't sold them out.

To achieve what was voted for, wto free trade is the only option, everything else undermines the democratic vote process

#14805 noobie, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  4. Forgive me but the vote was

[​IMG]

Both are quite clear, remain or leave, the majority vote was to leave. Nowhere does it say join efta, do as Norway does anything else.

Cameron and ALL the high officials supporting remain made it very clear before the vote that leaving the eu would mean the single market, as well as the other 3 pillars of the eu. There are countles articles and videos of senior remainers saying this.

The vote was incredibly clear, remain in all that is the eu, or leave that all the eu is. The majority democratic vote said leave, the voting paper shows it. it doesn't say stay in a little bit, not every other thursday or do a time share

You may want to argue the ballot paper but it is as clear as day as is the democratic vote result. Now you can fight it all you want but it's there clear as day

5. You mis interpret my post Noobie. I know what was voted for, I'm a leave voter. I'm saying your not going to get yours or mine interpretation of Brexit.

The political will for that is not there and is not likely to be now. As Michael Portillo said on "this week" and correctly I believe, May and the remain power people in cabinet have manouvered either by accident or design to a situation where you have a softish Brexit or no Brexit.

Parliament won't vote for no deal regardless of the leader of Cons, and failure to reach a way forward ongoing and subsequent election will likely trigger a change in government who will be softer still.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Usually/normally. But it is has not yet so cant see any reason to not link it, current article about what is happening. Instead of just making statements with nothing to back them up.

7. You mis interpret my post Noobie. I know what was voted for, I'm a leave voter. I'm saying your not going to get yours or mine interpretation of Brexit.

The political will for that is not there and is not likely to be now. As Michael Portillo said on "this week" and correctly I believe, May and the remain power people in cabinet have manouvered either by accident or design to a situation where you have a softish Brexit or no Brexit.

Parliament won't vote for no deal regardless of the leader of Cons, and failure to reach a way forward ongoing and subsequent election will likely trigger a change in government who will be softer still.

8. The impass will be the same whether we have another general election or not who ever is in charge. The electorate's democratic majority gave the vote to follow, if Parliament refuses democratic votes, then it cannot be right that parliament remains if it refuses to enact the reason for it's purpose

9. That guff backs nothing up until it isn't reversed next month so it's useless until then. So far it's just a bigger swing on a normal cycle being tenuously (very) linked to Brexit.

10. idealistically correct but realistically not gonna happen. More's the pity.

11. There is a big problem though. Time after time, come general elections, political parties will go to the polls with a manifesto. "we will do this' we will do that'
    Then, after scraping in to power they renege.

There is no real democracy.

This is what both sides of the Brexit argument are going to find out.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. The democratic part, supercedes the concerns for the U.K. over Brexit.

Say at the next general election we get a large proportion who do not agree with the vote, do we go best out of three as is being suggested with brexit, do we keep going till the minority gets it's way overiding the democratic majority? Do we end up in a situation where nothing gets done because every democratic majority vote is challenged and run again so we end up with constant elections but no result ever being sustained.

Until this vote, there has not been the kind of again again again hysteria. Democratic majority votes is how democracies work, remove those then you remove democracy.

It is mostly a non argument as the vote has been made and the direction given but I'm not sure how many mp's would risk their tenure by suddenly saying democratic votes no longer count.

13. ''Cameron and ALL the high officials supporting remain made it very clear before the vote that leaving the eu would mean the single market, as well as the other 3 pillars of the eu. There are countles articles and videos of senior remainers saying this''

True.

And there are were countless videos and adverts on sides of buses claiming Millions of pounds per week for the NHS.

So we can agree both sides lied.

14. Yes we can however, the leave vote was quite clear even to the point of the remain side were making the case for leave in that leave meant leave, which was what the vote paper said, stay or leave.

It would be interesting to see what justification a second vote could even be considered (although I know the silly one of others didn't know what they voted for but I know they were wrong brigade).

Then how their suggestion/precedent, the same excuse, could not be used to challenge any further and all democratic votes?

#14816 noobie, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  15. Why can’t millions be out into nhs? They never said it all would. It’s about positioning, and anyone who thought those ads said it did belong in the arm camp of naive thickos that beloved Corbyn would wipe out student debt at the last election

16. Just to be clear, is it your opinion that once a referendum has been voted upon, the subject is closed forever?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Surely it’s closed until we are out. Then once out, if we want back in and apply thru the usual route, before going in we vote again.

Or are you saying that the vote for the common market (not EU btw) was a vote forever?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Ignoring you answered with a question and not with an answer first for a moment, although I would still like an answer

In reply to your question is it your opinion that once a referendum has been voted upon, the subject is closed forever?

Clearly not. We had an eu vote in 1975 and again in 2016. It would be fair that we have another eu vote in another 41 years in 2057 if equality was your wish

could you answer my question now please?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information