1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband And Wifi

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Arquebus, Dec 7, 2019.

1. OK, so who here knows about these things?

My incoming telephone line splits before it enters the house which means I have in effect a choice of either socket both of which are ADSL in different locations.

I have a BT Smart Hub hooked up one one socket which gives me computer internet and wifi.

The wifi signal is not good in one part of the house and even a BT disc extender doesn't help.....too many thick walls.

But in the poor signal area is the other ADSL socket.

I have a TP Link wifi router spare.

If I connect that to the ADSL socket in the poor location (just the phone line, without ethernet cable) will that give me wifi or will it interfere with the BT Smart Hub signal?

If so, will it be two wifi networks or will the TP Link one need to recognise the Smart Hub network?

Thanks, AL

2. I’m no expert but have had similar problems.

Not sure about having two routers, but if you login to the TP one with the BT ( assuming that’s your ISP) details it should work.

another way may be if you can connect the two routers with an Ethernet cable, so the second one just becomes an extension of the BT one. We used internet over mains to get better internet upstairs, worked ok.

will see if I can find a link to it.

3. Cheers Alan.
    I can't link the two routers with an ethernet cable.....it would need to be about 12 metres long and run outside.

I was just thinking I may end up with two wifi networks one called say, A and the other called say, B.

That way, my Android phone could connect automatically to the strongest signal....it would also mean the TP Link router signal would be strong enough to reach my workshop.

I don't get any other wifi here other than what I create with a router.

AL

• Like Like x 1
  4. Interesting.

Your two routers, attached by two ADSL connection points, would be assigned two different IP addresses (if your ISP assigns IP address dynamically). Unless of course they have provisions to prevent simultaneous IPs on the same account, in which case only the first connected router would get an iIP address and therefore internet.

If your ISP assigns a static IP address based upon your account logon, the second router would either not get an IP address or it would deprive the first router of its connection when it steals it for itself. Edit: or you would end up with a "Bad IP" error from two devices with the same IP, leading to no connectivity for either device.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Pretty sure @Loz is right.

they would clash, and possibly neither would connect

6. Should work if you link one to ADSL and the other is slaved to it via cable (the slave then acts as a switch instead of a router).

I'm pretty sure Al indicated that he cannot connect the two routers via Cat 5/Cat 6 cable but then - Al thinks Brexit will never happen so what does he know?

7. I think he meant because of length of the run and having to go outside.

Those units I linked to work over mains and ones we had worked ok.

Perhaps if we help him get this working to his complete satisfaction he will kindly arrange for Brexit to happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. @Arquebus we don’t use ours anymore. Will see if I can find them and you are welcome to them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The simplest way of doing this is to buy these

TP-Link TL-WPA9610KIT https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072QWSCQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_EN46DbB1544D8

This is the fastest kit but others are available - once you have the starter kit you can add more access points to automatically extend coverage.

if you want to save money you can use Alan’s powerline network adaptors to link your 2nd router to the BT router and configure it as an access point. Most routers allow this.

You need to stop the 2nd router giving out DHCP addresses and configure the same SSID and passwords as on your BT kit. Ideally you should set the TP link router to use a different WiFi channel to the BT for best performance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nice one @LiveFast...... glad someone that really knows what they’re doing came along.

I hadn’t seen the newer ones that you linked to, much better idea.

@Arquebus the offer is still there if you want them, might need a bit more arsing about though.

11. Thanks all (and you Loz)......let me investigate what you people have said.

Do Powerline adapters work when the relevant electric sockets are distributed on different ring mains?

What I have is shown below......the pink area shows roughly the wifi coverage....

I guess it is my fault for having a house 120 feet long. PLAN.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Has the technology for data transmission through the electric circuit come along since it first came out? @Alan williams

I'd heard of it when it first made an appearance but it had poor bandwidth and I discounted it back then. Hadn't heard of it since and so I thought it must surely have died a death.

13. Err, might sound silly, have you tried the BT hub at the other socket ?

or from that socket to a more central location if possible ?

14. I’m not sure, would be interested to know if anyone has tried newer ones.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. You let me down here, Alan.

16. Looking at that diagram it’s highly likely that your BT master socket is the first one as it enters the house and the one you are using is an extension.

I would test the broadband speed in both locations and plug the BT router into the fastest - test using a cable not via WiFi.

Powerline networking has gone through many iterations since it’s first generation and offers much higher speeds.

Speed is determined by the powerline standard you purchase and the distance between the adapters. They will work on any circuit that returns to the same electricity supply but you will achieve best performance if on the same ring main.

If you have a standard BT FTTC connection then modern powerline adaptors should easily outstrip the speed of your internet connection.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Sorry.

If I find mine I will look at the spec and compare to newer ones.

is that better ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I use a BT Whole Home system. Four small discs placed around the house to provide a mesh
    The benefit is that our phones synch seamlessly as we wander through the house with a glitch.
    You can add discs too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The BT whole home system uses a Wireless mesh - each unit relays the wireless signal to the next.

It’s an effective way of providing simple WiFi coverage but does have bandwidth limitations. In a home with thick walls it would work if you positioned the access points properly but it’s relatively expensive and offers slow speeds on the access points furthest from the router.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information